Mx-3 Engine Swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Milli
antispam: No

Mx-3 Engine Swap

Post by Milli »

I'm a little bit of a noob. Just got this MX-3 and i love it, but i want more out of this 4 cylinder. Please dont leave nasty comments im just looking for help from people who know more. So i have been looking to do an engine swap in my little 4-banger. I looked into a KLZE but they say that would be a difficult swap since i have the 4 cylinder version. I then read that i should do the BPT GTR engine swap since it goes right in. It also said that the BPT GTR has more horse power than the KLZE and is smaller. How is that possible? Also while i was looking for the BPT GTR engine i came across a JDM 13B-TT engine. I came up with the crazy idea of putting that in since it has about 223 horses. Is it even possible to put the JDM 13B-TT in? I know its smaller than the KLZE but bigger than the BPT. By the way the JDM 13B-TT is out of a 93' to 95' rx-7. Also if BPT GTR is the only way to go, can i twin turbo the engine? How can i push the car to over 300 horses? Is it even possible to get this MX3 That high, and what is the most horse power i can get out of it? What can i put on the BPT GTR to get the most horses, if that is the only engine i can swap in? Thanks a lot
Limegreen mx-3

Re: Mx-3 Engine Swap

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Milli wrote:I'm a little bit of a noob. Just got this MX-3 and i love it, but i want more out of this 4 cylinder. Please dont leave nasty comments im just looking for help from people who know more. So i have been looking to do an engine swap in my little 4-banger. I looked into a KLZE but they say that would be a difficult swap since i have the 4 cylinder version. I then read that i should do the BPT GTR engine swap since it goes right in. It also said that the BPT GTR has more horse power than the KLZE and is smaller. How is that possible? Also while i was looking for the BPT GTR engine i came across a JDM 13B-TT engine. I came up with the crazy idea of putting that in since it has about 223 horses. Is it even possible to put the JDM 13B-TT in? I know its smaller than the KLZE but bigger than the BPT. By the way the JDM 13B-TT is out of a 93' to 95' rx-7. Also if BPT GTR is the only way to go, can i twin turbo the engine? How can i push the car to over 300 horses? Is it even possible to get this MX3 That high, and what is the most horse power i can get out of it? What can i put on the BPT GTR to get the most horses, if that is the only engine i can swap in? Thanks a lot
I can't believe im reading this oh boy you just dug your own grave I hope your ready for whats next..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

4 cyl FAQ, search.php
Last edited by PoisonDrop on November 19th, 2009, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

I'm a little bit of a noob.
Yes

Just got this MX-3 and i love it, but i want more out of this 4 cylinder.
Thats good, read lots and search.

Please dont leave nasty comments im just looking for help from people who know more.
Search more and be flamed less.

So i have been looking to do an engine swap in my little 4-banger.
Lots of people have done this, asking questions is a start.

I looked into a KLZE but they say that would be a difficult swap since i have the 4 cylinder version.
This is good you searched this. Do not swap a V6 into an RS

I then read that i should do the BPT GTR engine swap since it goes right in.
Yes it does swap out easily

It also said that the BPT GTR has more horse power than the KLZE and is smaller.
Yes a turbo 4 cylinder will make more horsepower than a non turbo 2.5L V6

How is that possible?
See above

Also while i was looking for the BPT GTR engine i came across a JDM 13B-TT engine.
RX-7 engines have no place in an MX-3 unless you want to cut up the
frame and weld in custom stuff. This is one of the most difficult things to do to a car.

I came up with the crazy idea of putting that in since it has about 223 horses.
I agree it is insane.

Is it even possible to put the JDM 13B-TT in?
Yes but see two above.

I know its smaller than the KLZE but bigger than the BPT.
If we go by liters, the 13B is 1.3L so really its smaller than
the BPT. So 13B < 1.8L BPT < 2.5L V6 KLZE

By the way the JDM 13B-TT is out of a 93' to 95' rx-7.
No comment here.

Also if BPT GTR is the only way to go, can i twin turbo the engine?
No.

How can i push the car to over 300 horses?
BPT swap with a larger turbo.

Is it even possible to get this MX3 That high, and what is the most horse power i can get out of it?
The sky is the limit now with the toyota tranny swap.

What can i put on the BPT GTR to get the most horses, if that is the only engine i can swap in?
For simplicity yes its the only engine to swap in. A larger turbocharger was
mentioned.

Thanks a lot
Most welcome. Search and reading is your friend.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

it's funny how people say "don't leave nasty comments." That tells me that they have read other threads where someone asked a silly question and was told to search, flamed and what not, and knowing the outcome, still posts a silly question without searching. Sigh...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Hey I was nice, the junk was right there for kicking.
Milli

Post by Milli »

Lol i know i asked some dumb stuff. i just needed to get all my questions out the way. i did do my research by the way but i just see mixed answers every where. How big of a turbo can i get on the BP without blowing the engine? or will i need to buy like different internals n stuff. Thanks a lot for any help
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

You wont blow a properly built engine, the transmission is the weakest link.

Go read, check out http://www.clubprotege.com aswell
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

And worklogs...worklogs will give you a good idea of what is possible with our cars...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Milli

Post by Milli »

So with this toyota trans. how much can i boost the engine? Also what is the toyota trans. actually called so i can look it up? Will it fit direct to the BP?
Also even though its not recom. to put the ZE swap in this car. What kind of horse power is possible with a turbo on the ZE?
Would it be possible to reach the same amount of horsepower as a ZE turbo'd if im running a BP turbo'd?
Basically I just want the most power i can possibly get out of this little car without blowing an engine. I'm not racing it or anything but i would like to have the power when the time comes around. I just dont believe that a 4 cylinder motor could put out that much power without blowing. Mike you seem to know everything about this car. If you wouldnt mind helping me plan out my car please PM me when possible. I'd like to talk to you on AIM or something. I bet all my questions seem stupid but im just trying to finally get the right answer from somewhere. i been reading a lot of BS and contradictions.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Holy F@ck!

Do you dress yourself in the morning?

So you are not a noob just to the mx.. you're a noob to the wheel. You sure you need 300hp if you don't know how you got there? You need to buy a couple car mags, and max boost by corky bell and anything with popups.

From the quality of your questions I am sure you are well over a year away from doing anything in regards to a turbo. It's not about psi... you're missing the basics and this is no place to get them.

Please put down some jackstands before going under your car. Something tells me natural selection might try to take you out.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:You sure you need 300hp if you don't know how you got there?
Nice...
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Something tells me natural selection might try to take you out.
Nice again...

LOLAWWTTKOFHMBNDAVGJ (Lauging out loud at work while trying to keep others from hearing me, but not doing a very good job)
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Milli these cars aren't Hondas. There aren't a lot of mods that advertise "i will give you X hp if you bolt me on." Many of these builds have custom components (there's not many "kits" for our cars), so you can ask about HP all day but you won't get a straight answer, since everyone's build (and everyone's HP) is different. People on here worked hard to put that much into their cars, and a lot of them documented it, so there's no reason they'd want to answer these questions here since they already have a write-up or worklog that has all this information in it. C'mon man I'm trying to help you out as much as I can here, but you have to search and read. I guarantee you that anyone with a keyboard and mouse can find the answers to every one of your questions in about 5 minutes...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I’m going to make a simple suggestion that is actually intended to be helpful for you though you may think it sounds mean spirited. You clearly have little or no understanding of engine basics. I’m certain from reading your posts that you did not pick up on the fact that the 13b TT is a rotary engine OR that it comes from a rear wheel drive car. Your inability to understand that a BP with a turbo can be as strong or stronger than a ZE with the same displacement indicates your general lack of knowledge not only of our application but of engine works in general.

You are simply not equipped with the necessary knowledge to understand the full and thorough answers to the questions you are asking.

A guy asked me last week what he would have to do to put my engine in his car and I told him he’d have to swap the brake booster. He then asked me “What’s the brake booster?”

I’m not trying to burst your bubble man, but you are just not ready to understand what we’re even talking about. Go do some reading. Basic reading about engines. Find a book by Corky Bell called “Maximum Boost”. it will actually explain a lot of the stuff you’re curious about and will turn you on to a ton of other stuff you will realize you need to know.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Actually that's really good advice. I'm sure most if not all of us at some point in our lives knew very little about the MX-3 or just cars in general. There is so much info and wisdom on this board, however, that if you wish to become an expert, all you have to do is search and read. Don't be discouraged if you don't know what's what at this point in time. Just start by learning the basics and work your way up.

Wytbishop, are you an engineer or something? I've seen some pretty technical posts from you floating around (hint hint, Milli)...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”