KL motors in Vancouver?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

KL motors in Vancouver?

Post by Shades »

So I think the K8 motor in my SE is burning too much oil... about a 1L per two weeks. I might try and drop a KL in as a replacement. Where's a good place to get one of these for reasonable to cheap pricing?

Is there any advantage with a J-Spec over a US-Spec?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
solo_ryder

Re: KL motors in Vancouver?

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey John

Differences between us and jspec:

Us: 165 hp 165 tq, 9:1 comp - kl01, kl07 ecu and kl02 VAF
Jspec: 200hp 165hp , 10:1 comp - chipped ecu or kl31/kl36 ecu needed

Depending on what jspec motor you get (curve neck) it will have the same cams as the us spec motor.

I get my motors from jdm source.. U should be able to get a curve neck for 8-900 shipped taxes in to a loading dock in vancouver.

Or you can get a DE from pick n pull and drop that in with the stock DE ecu and VAF and be good to go
Shades

Post by Shades »

Hey Jordan,

Holy crap, I forgot I posted this... haha! Thanks for the info.

Where'd you get your ecu chipped and does JDM Source also have ecu's?... what's cars do the KL31/KL36 come from, and the differences?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I got the ecu chipped by probinator @ "probegtze@hotmail.com" email him for more info, hes slow to reply. I would recommend that route if you have some time. If not try to hunt down a KL31/KL36 ecu from probetalk or mx6.com. DO not buy a ecu from JDM source as they may give you a wonky one or overcharge. They are going for less then 140 now. The difference between the two ecu's is negligible, one is a Auto ecu and one is a MTX ecu apparently. Either way, they work the same. They both come from the Jap MX6 paired with the straight neck motor.

Probinator will be able to chip our ECU so that your VRIS points match (if you go with the plug and play curve neck). KL31 or 36 will have the incorrect points but it will still haul a--.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”