GS 5-speed stuck in reverse =( any ideas?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

GS 5-speed stuck in reverse =( any ideas?

Post by MrMazda92 »

I went to pick up a friend at the airport the other day, and decided to take my 1992 GS out for a little fun. I drove up to the short term parking area, then realized I had forgotten my wallet -.- I backed up to the main road to turn around, then realized I couldn't take my car out of reverse. I had to drive 1/4 of a mile backwards to a place I could park safely... a passing car stopped and the driver and myself talked briefly, he suggested it was a linkage problem, and suggested that I try to "rock" the car forward and back to jar the linkages. After about 20 minutes of unsuccessful rocking, I gave up. I jacked the car up, used my spare tire(don't laugh I felt dumb enough doing it) as a jack stand, and checked the linkage underneath. One side moved freely, the other did not. I don't know much(if anything) about transmissions, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Eventually airport staff told me I had to either have my car towed home, or I could drive it backwards... whichever was my preference.

Anyways... I called several transmission shops around my city, and they named several things they thought might be the cause.

1)Linkage - Jammed or broken

2)Trans. Fluid - Low

3)Something about the shifter and forks being jammed, I didn't understand very well as the guy had a thick accent.

All I know is my car is currently a very expensive lawn decoration. I would like to be able to drive it again.

If you have any idea how to properly diagnose this problem without costing me a ridiculous amount of money, then please let me know.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
hgallegos915

Re: GS 5-speed stuck in reverse =( any ideas?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Try the shifter linkage, one is not supposed to move, the other is supposed to move. Pull it with a screw driver or an L wrench.

I thiink your shifter may have gotten stuck, the car can be placed in neutral if you pull it.

Another thing you can do is, leave the clutch enganged.. ITS IMPORTANT NOT TO LET IT ENGAGE! you can put something where the slave goes to leave it dissenganged and have a buddy tow you.

The worst case scenario... your transmission died.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

hgallegos915 wrote:Try the shifter linkage, one is not supposed to move, the other is supposed to move. Pull it with a screw driver or an L wrench.

I thiink your shifter may have gotten stuck, the car can be placed in neutral if you pull it.

Another thing you can do is, leave the clutch enganged.. ITS IMPORTANT NOT TO LET IT ENGAGE! you can put something where the slave goes to leave it dissenganged and have a buddy tow you.

The worst case scenario... your transmission died.
I think he's already got it home. Hence lawn ornament. :wink:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Not to sound like an idiot, but pull on which part of the linkage? :S

I have the car blocked up so I can slide under it at the moment, but I still don't understand how I can free the shifter.

I have done a little more research online, and have found other possible causes.

I've seen everything from the linkage jamming, to a fragment of a gear holding the shifter in place.

I have my own idea what it might be too, as I had problems getting it into reverse sometimes.

I think it could be the "lockout" from 5th to reverse... is there a way to test if it is locking me IN reverse, instead of out of it?

Thank you for your responses.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

the linkage from the bottom of the actual shifter should move the other linkage does not move it connects the tranny to the frame that holds the shifter in.

I'm really not sure... never had that happen before...
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Check this bolt:

when I assembled my tranny and forgot to pop that in, it would get stuck in reverse.
Photo is from a G series but the F and G are pretty much identical internally and
have the same external bolts just in slightly different spots.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

How often would that bolt cause the problem? I haven't had good opportunity to crawl under the car this week as it has been exceedingly wet outside, and I do not have room in the shop for it yet :( I drove the car for 3,000 miles since I purchased it, and had no problem being stuck in gear until this. I will check for the bolt, thank you.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

its at the bottom so it *could* take damage from a flying rock or come loose, but
that would be followed by all the fluid draining aswell. Jump under there and
take note of that and your shifter linkage - its most likely that and or the shift
bars sometimes make contact with the exhaust flanges.

If your not sure snap a few photos and post them here. Most of us can tell you
if its funky just by looking at it
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I decided it's not worth wasting any more time, I need my car. I'm going to take it to a friend's shop and just pay out the a-- to get it fixed.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Make sure that your friend is affluent with these transmissions. Did it ever grind into gear while shifting? I put 40,000kms on my tranny since the swap driving hard and have never experienced this.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

He's up to the job. He's actually a family friend, 30 something years of experience, mostly imports.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

broken reverse gear or shift fork are my official guesses.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Transmissions”