o2 tuning for noobs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cricketol2

o2 tuning for noobs

Post by cricketol2 »

i would like to know what a good o2 tuner is and how to more less learn how to use it and it may help any one else out there that would like to know as well and i did do a search for o2 tuners on here and google but google does not help you out with experienced people with a mx3. thats why im asking here

i have a 1993 1.6 and i have a 1995 1.6 but im only worried about the 93 for this point in time
Limegreen mx-3

Re: o2 tuning for noobs

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Like i have mention time and time again u can't do a dyno or street tune or any kind of tuning without any kind of EMS (engine management system)/(standalone) or some basic kind of a piggy back system (e-manage)

"A wideband O2 sensor is the most accurate way to measure air fuel ratios, allowing fine tuning of your fuel computer(piggyback) or standalone EMS unit." I found this quote and it clearly states what is needed for what i believe ur talking about a wideband O2 system...

u sure u look hard enough.. without either system u can't do anything with it.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

i looked and i found some o2 tuners but idk how to use them .. that is what im talking about but it could be a piggy back idk i looked up o2 and only got one small pease of a thread so this should stay on so you wont be bothered with this again. and what you told me .. you did not answer my question no how.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

cricketol2 wrote:i looked and i found some o2 tuners but idk how to use them .. that is what im talking about but it could be a piggy back idk i looked up o2 and only got one small pease of a thread so this should stay on so you wont be bothered with this again. and what you told me .. you did not answer my question no how.
show me a link to what u are talking about this o2 tuners..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Is it something like this, TurboXS wideband o2 tuner :?:
http://www.hptmotorsports.com/turbo_xs_ ... system.php
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

it looks like a really expensive sending unit.
lol
o2 tuners... what does that even mean? Lime gave you the right answer. You don't tune O2, you adjust the fuel. the wideband o2 is a great guid to do so..... So if you went up to Lime's original post and read it again you will be in the right direction.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Well a crude way to adjust fuel would be to play with the maf, but our cars will compensate enough for basic boltons, even mild cam(s).
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

ok so the best why to do it would be to just go with something like the MAP-ECU

https://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts ... p-324.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or the GReddy E-manage

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdet ... anage/9641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but i would still like to know which one you guys have better results with. you can send more piggybacks if you would like. im not trying to say i put some other o2 in and go with it that wont do anything i know it will take some kind of piggyback but with one should i pick out of them all? i think that is more less the question.

sorry if i got any one confused.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

there are many options...
some good, some bad. Check to see what your local tuning shop will work with... you'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to give you tuning maps or pointers.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm sorry to say that "O2 tuning", and "Noobs" shouldn't be in the same sentence. I've spent at least 50 hours researching, and bought a MegaSquirt EMS and a DynoJet O2 sensor, and I still haven't done any serious fine tuning. On a normally aspirated 1.6, a great EMS will only get you a couple more HP. The more upgrades you do, the better the EMS will help get power from them. It's the last modification that a tuner does. The same amount of money would be better spent on a swap.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

to start to learn about anything you are a noob so keep in mind that im here to learn and so are any other noobs that come here
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I didn't mean to be offensive. You're right. I just meant to say that if a person is new to car tuning, EMSs are possibly too advanced. I respect noobs as I am one myself :wink: in many areas. There's alot to learn, and I just want to help.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

jesse is 100% correct.
I am in the process of tuning myself.. this is only the aem piggy. I have read many books and aem's forums b4 even buying one. I can tell you right now, I at least knew what I wanted and what it did before my order. Even with all my research I will still be taking it to a professional tuner w/ a dyno after my own street tune. Add 500.00 for tuning to the already 500.00 piggy back.
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

vary under stand-able but with the hole o2 tuning for noobs that would at least know where to go from here..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”