WTB: door skins for cfiber doors

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
marshmallow15

WTB: door skins for cfiber doors

Post by marshmallow15 »

anyone have any door skins for sale? if you're parting out your car, i only need the skin of the door which you can plasma cut out or electric saw out. i need some molds for a carbon fiber door project im starting.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
curtklze

Re: WTB: door skins for cfiber doors

Post by curtklze »

you sould use the hole door to make your mold, if you use only the skin, the skin will flex and distort.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

How do you plan on attatching these CF door skins to the metal doors after? :confused2:
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i was gonna keep the door stable with a foam padding in the back and some tubing for the mold.

oh and im going to use a special resin to resin bolts to the back of the skin long enough to drill into the stock door frame out of the way of the window glass... AND the top window glass trim that keeps water out of the door panel helps holding in the door skin as well (you'll know what i mean when you remove that piece.. there's about a CM of door under there) and then using a light silicone to seal every edge to keep water out. i was thinking of cfibering the ENTIRE door including the frame, but im afraid that it won't handle all of the weight the door wuld have to hold such as the window motor, speaker, locks, hinges, bolts, door handles, locking mechanisms, side mirrors, etc. but this post/site isn't the right place for this project. i dont like the critism involved with the unique projects i always have going on for my car. i'm simply looking for door skins.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

anyone?
- team slideways
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

U really think someone is gonna take the time to cut the door skins off their doors and ship them to you? How much are you willing to pay someone to do this? If the price is right I will go to my local junkyard and buy two doors and do it.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

Originally posted by cjthor:
U really think someone is gonna take the time to cut the door skins off their doors and ship them to you? How much are you willing to pay someone to do this? If the price is right I will go to my local junkyard and buy two doors and do it.
i was thinking somewhere around $75-100 + shipping. i figured it wouldn't hurt if that person parting out their car had access to a plasma cutter or electric saw.. not much work in removing the top trim and cutting the skin off.
- team slideways
crashedmx3

Post by crashedmx3 »

you might be able to have my skins, but im not 100% sure what your talking about...
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by crashedmx3:
you might be able to have my skins, but im not 100% sure what your talking about...
He is talking about cutting the exterior door skin off the actual door.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I only have 1 question about this project. WHY THE **** WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS? The word 'rice' comes to mind. I don't mean to knock it, but I hate it when people try and turn our car into a civic. If you're gunna do an aesthetic mod, do something worth while. Carbon fiber door panels is just silly bro. I hate to naysay, but damn. Do a headlight conversion or something. Sorry bro, waste of money IMO.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

its all good ryan i'm open to opinions. but honestly ive never seen a carbon fiber door on a civic. ive seen cfiber doors on skylines and rx-7s and an sc300, but never a civic. :shrug:

and yes im talking about the skin of the door just as jarid said.

EDIT: oh and ryan you said door panel... im doing the skin of the door.. the outer exterior part.

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: marshmallow15 ]</small>
- team slideways
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

My bad about the incorrect term. I knew what you meant, I just typed it incorrectly.

Second, I have never seen a civic with carbon fiber door skins either. I'm just saying that using carbon fiber for aesthetics (in my opinion) is "rice". I try and substitute the word "civic" for "rice" because some people get offended with the use of "rice" because of it's racial connotations.

Third, I'm not trying to bash you. I just hate to see our car put in the same ring as the civic. You know that the people that hate the 'form before function' crowd will look at that mod and figure the MX-3 is going the way of the civic. This is a beautiful car (as was the civic becore eceryone APC'd the hell out of them) and I don't want to see that compromised.

You know I am vocal about my opinions, and I try my best to reflect them in a civil and somewhat kind manner. I hope I didnt come off as too big an a--hole. If you do get this done, definatly post pictures and prove me wrong. Good luck and take it easy.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

no harm done ryan. im always open to anything. the main purpose i was gonna do this was because of the weight savings, but after receiving my carbon fiber twill and combining it with the resin, threaded bolts, epoxy and gelcoat, it would've been heavier than the door skin itself.. and i dont wanna cfiber the entire door/frame to save a few pounds. i decided with a no on this project and maybe just do a simple carbon fiber fuel door instead. the car would look a bit goofy from afar with darker door panels anyway (like the car was unpainted or something).

EDIT: i AM however fabricating a carbon fiber front lip.. if you've seen the white rx-7 owned by amemiya, it will be similar to that where it will drape over the lower front grill section of the bumper and wrap around the front of the bumper and end at the sides and just go straight down. i will definitely keep you guys posted on that progress in around december. this month im working on some custom sideskirts (can you guys tell im experienced in bodywork? heheh)

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: marshmallow15 ]</small>
- team slideways

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”