cooling system problem

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
tineke

cooling system problem

Post by tineke »

Car dripped coolant after a short drive from I assuming the lower rad hose. After a 30 min commute home,interior of car was smoking hot while the heater vents were closed and My temp guage didn't budge from the halfway indicator on my dash like normal. When I parked it,the overflow tank was making boiling sounds and spewing out coolant onto the pavement,from the amount of liquid on the pavement I assumed there was no coolant left in the car. When I went back to the car about 20 min later, the overflow tank was full. This morning it is still full to the lip. I did notice a little debris floating around in the rad cap a month ago. Do you think I just need a system flush or my rad is failing?

Tineke 96 mx3 v6 black beauty
93vtecklr

Re: cooling system problem

Post by 93vtecklr »

Ok, your best bet is to trace the hoses. There is two caps on your car. Check the one on the top of the engine by the intake manifold WHILE THE CAR IS COLD and ensure there is fluid in there, then check the one behind the rad somewhere near your starter. Look for points on your lower rad support where fluid may be building up as that could also indicate where you're leaking from. While the car is warm and idling, you should be able to see fluid dripping from a hose, or maybe even give them a squeeze (with proper eye protection of course) and see where it's coming from. A flush is a good idea, but redundant when you may just squirt it all onto the ground anyway. Trace the leak, fix it, then flush it.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
tineke

Post by tineke »

Got a new rad cap and a thermostat(still needs to be put in). It is sporatically leaking from the bottom of the rad..I think the lower hose but I can't see it. Also going to go pick up a code reader :)
Thanks.
T.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Any time, it's why we're here! :wink:
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
tineke

Post by tineke »

So I folded and took it to mazda. They noticed my drain plug was broken and suggested replacing it, then they called me back after looking inside the rad and told me that it had leaks for a while and the previous owner(s).. :? had played around with it and tried to seal it inside and it was a mess. So it's got replaced today. I also got my intake manifild valve gasket seals replaced as they were leaking and a distributor o ring and a oil cooler o ring. So hopefully that fixes my vaccum leakage. They are also doing my steering pump and a coolant flush because I was just topping it up with water(wich is one of the reasons it was boiling along with the air getting into the coolant) and I noticed ALOT of grime and debris in the overflow tank as well as the filler cap. After it's trip to mazda It should be doing great and alls I need is some cosmetic body work :D then cross my fingers, nothing breaks for a LONG time,lol.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I'd imagine you don't want anything else to break for a long time... it will take a long time to refill your bank account.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tineke

Post by tineke »

It runs GREAT! now...I am so happy.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

that's what boyfriends are for, doing work on your car.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”