Shell Gasoline?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Shell Gasoline?

Post by mitmaks »

solo_ryder wrote:Could also be a bad fuel pressure reg, or a bad injector
Good point, also Chevron is advertised to add fuel additives in their gas so they definitely don't have "bad" gas
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Nitrogen enrichment does NOT increase the performance of the gasoline in any way. At least not immediately.
Nitrogen additives act like detergents, so nitrogen in Shell gas is the analog to Chevron's "Techron", for example.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-effi ... oline1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nitrogen enriched gasoline can clean up an engine's carbon buildup over time, and so "give back" the performance the engine had lost because of it.

However, some other ingredients in Shell's specific gasoline recipe may be responsible for any performance or other differences with other brands. At our end, that can only be found through experimentation.
For example, in my old B6 '92 MX-3, after a lot of testing, I had found out that Citgo 92 octane gas gave me consistently about 10% better gas mileage than any other brand or grade, even when BP 92 octane gave me more power.

I agree the sputtering is most likely not fuel related. It can be injector/regulator related, or maybe something else.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

Do you guys know this stuff off the top of your head?

or are you all batteling over different sources of google and wikipedia?
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well I know what I say because its all from real world experiences. I do a fair bit of long distance driving, 1500km trips ever few weeks so I can test my mileage and see what I get. I also can feel the difference when using different gas.
Ninjaskill
antispam: No

Post by Ninjaskill »

the age of the volume tanks at the gas station have allot to do with the moisture levels in there gas too. i try to only get gas from newer gas stations and ones with a high turnover. this LOWERS the chances of getting bad fuel.
as to the additives in the fuel, for all the years i have been working on cars i cannot see a drastic difference between companies. using you own additive that advertises proven real world results and dyno testing (Lucas + sea-foam to name a couple) has the best results.
just my experience here...
'93 Mazda Miata Black and Tan
'94 White Mazda Precidia Rustofantabuloawesomeness
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Normally you don't know things because of one single factor.
First, you learn some things from personal experience. Other things you learn. Others, you research.

For starters, a lot of things I know is because I have a big family, and some people in that family are very patient.
For example, I have a cousin who's a mechanics engineer, who, when I was 8 years old, decided, for my benefit, to baby sit me for a whole afternoon while I did my first transmission (with his guidance, of course). Ever since, I'm in love with mechanics.
Another cousin is a chemical engineer at an oil company.
Another cousin's husband is an electronics engineer, who helped me, when I was 12, assemble and troubleshoot a mini amplifier. Later I became an electronics technician.

Then, other things you experiment yourself, and others you look for, either on books, or on line. Wikipedia and Google are excellent tools, if you use them properly, and make an enormous amount of information readily available to everybody. So, yes, I spend a lot of time googling.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Ninjaskill wrote:the age of the volume tanks at the gas station have allot to do with the moisture levels in there gas too. i try to only get gas from newer gas stations and ones with a high turnover. this LOWERS the chances of getting bad fuel.
as to the additives in the fuel, for all the years i have been working on cars i cannot see a drastic difference between companies. using you own additive that advertises proven real world results and dyno testing (Lucas + sea-foam to name a couple) has the best results.
just my experience here...
Couldn't have said it better myself. You can put a can of your favorite injector cleaner/sea foam and you will get just as good of a result if not better.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

Me and my friends were watching horsepowertv and they tried like 4 different Fuel Additives that claim "Better mpg,More HP"

Most of them didnt do anything or they lowered it. This was in a controlled room with the engine outside of the car. on a full tank of gas untill it was completly out, ran with another tank of gas with out any additives then done again.

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

Most of the time (being broke) I put the cheapest gas in. The equates to Arco in my area. No additives, no good or bad stuff. Though every couple of tanks I'd run some fuel system cleaner for good measure. Recently since I installed the BP I've started using Shell gas midgrade (89) with Lucas additive. I do notice that when I get broke and buy Arco 87 it really craps out my mpg and power.
Shell 89 + Lucas = 18-20 mpg
Arco 87 + Lucas = 16-18 mpg
Arco 87 = 15-17 mpg
The power and mpg differences are really noticeable.

And yes, I know my mileage is crap... I'm still waiting on the ECU and without VICS
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I get anywhere from 24-27mpg in town, which is not bad at all.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Went to shell the other night to fill up. Noticed a sticker on the pump.

87 Octane - May contain up to 10% ethanol
89 Octane - May contain up to 5% ethanol
91 Octane - Contains no ethanol

Good thing I run 91 haha.

Edit - Spelling
Last edited by solo_ryder on October 16th, 2009, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Exactly so buy high test and get better fuel economy and a better running engine. Ethanol or methanol just sucks period. Growing food for fuel is so totally wrong. People are starving and we use food to transport our fat a**es around. My 5c worth.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

Daninski wrote:Exactly so buy high test and get better fuel economy and a better running engine. Ethanol or methanol just sucks period. Growing food for fuel is so totally wrong. People are starving and we use food to transport our fat a**es around. My 5c worth.
me and my girlfriend just had a good laugh at that.

that needs to be a quote on tv some where.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

If I amy add, I use cheap 91 octane gas in my turbo mx3, however in my eclipse I use regular..

When I use shell, not only does it last less... it feels different.... I mean its just a simple 4 cyl combustion engine, no rocket science there but still... hmmm When I use any other brand. it lasts longer... maybe its just me..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

hgallegos915 wrote:If I amy add, I use cheap 91 octane gas in my turbo mx3, however in my eclipse I use regular..

When I use shell, not only does it last less... it feels different.... I mean its just a simple 4 cyl combustion engine, no rocket science there but still... hmmm When I use any other brand. it lasts longer... maybe its just me..

just wondering how does it feel different... kinda why i started this thread. i thought the same thing.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”