Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware

Please post here any content related to fighting viruses on the internet. (ie. Internet e-mail headers to help track down virus infected computers in the MX-3 community.)
Inodoro Pereyra

Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

A few months ago, I was lucky ( :roll: ) enough to be attacked by about 1800 viruses at once, when I mistakenly opened an e-mail I was trying to delete.
At the time, I had the Norton Anti Virus installed, which did NOT detect any of them, did NOT stop them, and, once I scanned my computer, did also NOT recognize them, and, of course, did not disinfect them.
So I went to CompUSA, and bought an Internet Security Suite which proved to be an excellent tool every time I felt like crashing my computer, and a book: "Hacking Windows XP" by Steve Sinchak.
In that book he recommends these 2 anti virus softwares: Spybot S&D and Lavasoft Ad-Aware.
They're both very aggressive, they're both free, and they complement each other beautifully.
I ran Spybot first, and it detected, IIRC, something like 1680 viruses or so. It disinfected almost all of them, except 115 that I had to do manually. Then, after 2 weeks deleting those 115 by hand, i ran Ad-Aware, and it found and disinfected another 260.
Ever since, thanks to an immunization tool on Spybot, I'm completely virus free.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware

Post by Daninski »

Malwarebytes is a great program. I dumped Adaware for it and it's done an excellent job. If you ever have a virus/malware issue go to Trendmicro and do their FREE on line scan. I do it about once a month. No one single virus scan or malware scan gets everything IMO.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

On my laptop I run the following programs:

AdAware
Spybot: Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
MalwareBytes
Avast! Antivirus

I recommend all those FREE programs. They do a lot better then most "pay for" programs you can get.

This computer always run great, and as long as I do them once every week or 2, I usually never have any viruses/adware/spyware.

So yeah.. definitely use those!! You won't be disappointed.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

The new Adaware is a bit bloated...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Mike Wakeham

Post by Mike Wakeham »

I use Spybot S&D and the Lavasoft adware and they are top notch so get a +1 from me.

Also +1 for Avast, seems to be the best FREE AV out there at the mo. Some people recomend AVG too, I've never used it but some say it can be a bit bloated.

I also use Comodo which is a FREE personal Firewall. Can be a bit of a PITA sometimes as it'll throw up warnings for everything if you try to run updates or download programs, but at least I know it's working and checking stuff.

Currently Virus free and have been for the last year using this set up :D
My Toys:
Stock (for the moment) 1996 K8 MX-3 with CAI
1998 Suzuki GN 125cc (my learner bike!)
Soon Honda VFR 400 NC30(when I'm not a learner anymore!)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

For the slightly advanced user, hijackthis is also great. Novices can also use it, but you should post the log on a forum dedicated to the program so people can help you!

Never used antivirus, only had 1 virus in last 8years. I personally don't believe in anti virus software.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

spybot and adaware are the best. I always use them. Week ago a computer at work got infected and I ran it in safe mode and installed spybot and ran it. Deleted spyware/trojans and computer runs great after that. Of course it wasn't my job (Im a painter) but I was able to do it so I did it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

IMO, each has its own ups and downs.

If I'm workigg on a PC and I suspect spyware...

I install spybot S&D and update it on a flash drive. I also load Hijackthis! on the USB as well. I boot into safemode, run Hijackthis! and remove anything I think could be a culprit. I then run spybot. That usually takes care of 99%. I then run Malwarebytes or adaware if I still suspect something.

If I can, I'd rather format then deal with spyware removal on an older PC. Its less time consuming, especially with a automated install disk. (Nlineos.com)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I totally agree!

There are time when Spyboy, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes and HiJack this just isn't enough. Some are just that stubborn.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Anti-Virus Forum”