How to rechrage A/C?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
newbieMX3
antispam: No

How to rechrage A/C?

Post by newbieMX3 »

I have a 92 mx-3 and im assuming they used R-12 for the a/c right? I have to buy a retro fit kit and freon correct? How easy is this to do? Do the retro fit kits have pretty straight forward installation instructions? What will i need to know before starting this task? I know ill need to know where the low side port is on my car...im guessing maybe other ports as well?
oh and i have the v-6 dohc.....any help would be appreciated....thank you
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: How to rechrage A/C?

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Incorrect. :wink:
The retrofits are cr@p (believe me: I sell them).

This is what you have to do:

1. Purge your A/C system of any remaining gas (do NOT purge it to open air).
2. Drain the oil.
3. Flush the system.
4. Replace the compressor and accumulator-receiver/dryer.
5. Refill with PAG (Polyalkylene Glycol) oil.
6. Make vacuum.
7. Refill with R-134a gas.

You can do most of it at home, if you know what you're doing, except draining the old R-12 and making the vacuum, but I'd recommend you to take it to a REPUTABLE A/C shop. Just make sure they do replace the compressor and accumulator-receiver/dryer, as the R-134a units are bigger than the R-12 ones, and the old ones will quickly fail anyways if they're flushed and refilled with the PAG oil, which they haven't been designed for.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

What about this stuff? http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html I've seen it in parts stores and it claims to be a replacement for r-12 and r-134.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Inodoro Pereyra

Mad Cow wrote:What about this stuff? http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html I've seen it in parts stores and it claims to be a replacement for r-12 and r-134.
Never heard of it, but I don't trust it. Sounds too good to be true... :shrug:

Diogenes of Sinope.
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Hey guys,

i have read this thread and another one as well the other was more about leaks. But let me tell you what I have here. I got a 92 MX-3 V-6. I guess having a KLZE won't make a difference. Anyways I only had the luxury to enjoy one summer of A/C and it was beautiful this was back in 2003 when i first bought the car.

Winter came never used it then the summer came and it didn't blow any cold air ... I never boathered with it since. Now I am trying to get my a/c to work again I can see the compressor kicking in since I see the RPM revs a bit higher and i see the fan running. Now first I understand I had to get the retro-fit valve so i bought one put it on and tried to put in some of the "legal gas".

Nothing happened I took it to the mechanic and he couldn't figure it out either. What happens is that nothing happens... lol.. basically the gas is not being sucked in at all. Now i am not sure if i was using the wrong spot to fill it from but it's on the passenger side infront of the firewall right before the a/c line connects to a rubber hose and goes down to where all the belts and pullys are....

I don't really want to replace my compressor it's costy and if mine works and it kicks in then why should i throw away money and execuse my ignorance but never knew there is oil in the a/c system.

What i thought would be the problem is a vac problem since nothing is getting sucked in.. i took it to another shop apparently they have a machine to test it out but he told me my car is too old for the system to test it and he was telling me to get new lines :? which i don't want to do... my buddy's 92 prelude works fine all he had to do is just get the refill kit with the retro-fit valve and that was all he did himself at home...

any help would be greatly appreciated i am pretty sure all my fuses are fine...
Suspension Technique coils, with Tokico Blues
2.5L
Ceramic Pads and SS Break Lines
Straight Pipe
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Mad Cow wrote:What about this stuff? http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html I've seen it in parts stores and it claims to be a replacement for r-12 and r-134.
I've been told the redtek stuff works really well in R12 systems but not so good in 134a systems and I'm not sure why. A guy at the AutoParts store says he sells lots of those redtek retrofit kits and he's had no complaints. I was planning on using one on my 92 instead of spending the money to put new O rings in the compressor. I will have the system leak checked and purged first before installing the r12a redtek. Any airconditioning place will tell you the stuff is crap because they'll loos business if people start buying that stuff. I went on line and most of the write ups were very favourable. If you do have a leak at the condensor or compressor you should look at replacing those parts as they are in the high pressure side of the system and the stop leak products ususaly won't work there.

The only thing I didn't check is should a new dryer be installed before adding the redtek.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Incorrect. :wink:
The retrofits are cr@p (believe me: I sell them).

This is what you have to do:

1. Purge your A/C system of any remaining gas (do NOT purge it to open air).
2. Drain the oil.
3. Flush the system.
4. Replace the compressor and accumulator-receiver/dryer.
5. Refill with PAG (Polyalkylene Glycol) oil.
6. Make vacuum.
7. Refill with R-134a gas.

You can do most of it at home, if you know what you're doing, except draining the old R-12 and making the vacuum, but I'd recommend you to take it to a REPUTABLE A/C shop. Just make sure they do replace the compressor and accumulator-receiver/dryer, as the R-134a units are bigger than the R-12 ones, and the old ones will quickly fail anyways if they're flushed and refilled with the PAG oil, which they haven't been designed for.
Where do you get that oil from? How much do you need and how do you refill it?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Inodoro Pereyra

mitmaks wrote:
Where do you get that oil from? How much do you need and how do you refill it?
You can get it at any auto part store. It comes either alone, in small metal cans with a screw cap, or mixed with the R-134a.
You pour it in before closing the system. Some people pour everything in the compressor, some half, and half in the accumulator-receiver/dryer.
The amount you need depends on the compressor you're using. If you buy a new compressor, you're gonna have to do some research. If you use a junkyard compressor, the one from the '94/'95 MX-3 takes 5.92 to 6.25 oz.

Either way, BE CAUTIOUS when handling PAG oil. The stuff is nasty. Use latex/nitrile gloves, and a face shield.

Diogenes of Sinope.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:
I've been told the redtek stuff works really well in R12 systems but not so good in 134a systems and I'm not sure why. A guy at the AutoParts store says he sells lots of those redtek retrofit kits and he's had no complaints. I was planning on using one on my 92 instead of spending the money to put new O rings in the compressor. I will have the system leak checked and purged first before installing the r12a redtek. Any airconditioning place will tell you the stuff is crap because they'll loos business if people start buying that stuff. I went on line and most of the write ups were very favourable. If you do have a leak at the condensor or compressor you should look at replacing those parts as they are in the high pressure side of the system and the stop leak products ususaly won't work there.

The only thing I didn't check is should a new dryer be installed before adding the redtek.
checked out that Red Tek stuff and looks like you can only get it in TN lol
However I saw this kit http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 98543_0_0_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and think about using it on my mx-3. Of course my a/c drier is missing and I'll buy and install a new one
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”