pulling out the motor only?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jamesmx3

pulling out the motor only?

Post by jamesmx3 »

Is there a reason not many people pull only the motor when they do a swap or rebuild? I only ask since I am going to do a swap, but just the motor not the trans, will I run into major difficulties when i pull it or replace?
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marcdh

Re: pulling out the motor only?

Post by marcdh »

I can only talk for K series, but you have to slide the trans input shaft out of the crank so you may as well take it all out. Just pull it all out, it'll be fine!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

Which motor are you swapping? I take it is a 1.6L, are you going to put in another 1.6 or going for another motor like a BP? It is actually pretty easy to just pull the motor, especially if the axles are stuck in the trans. Just get a few pry bars and unbolting the lower mounts on the trans will give you some extra room to wiggle and pry the motor out. If it's a manual trans, you might want to either unbolt or relieve some of the pressure in the clutch slave cylinder to make it a bit easier to put the new motor in.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

yeh its b6 to bp, just leaving the trans as I dont plan on boosting.

thanks
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You’re actually making a lot more work and frustration for yourself by trying to leave the transmission in. I would never attempt to do that. Getting the splines on the tranny input shaft to line up with the clutch plate is hard enough with the tranny and engine both out on the floor where you can move things around and wiggle it about. With the tranny in the car bolted to the frame rain and the axles holding it in place you will have a very difficult time. Getting the engine out would be frustrating but doable, but getting it back in will be hours of frustration and cursing.

Drain the transmission, unbolt the lower ball joints from the control arms and pop the axles out. Disconnect the speedo drive. Unclip the reverse and neutral switches. Altogether that would take an additional 20-30 minutes and reduce your hassle many fold.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

do it all at once. No point going half-a$$ on this. One or 2 hard shifts and you'll need a new tranny. Do you want to do it once or twice?
garren1138

Post by garren1138 »

ya you can get a bp tranny for cheap and swap it in just get the cv's for it from a junk yard and swap her in.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:do it all at once. No point going half-a$$ on this. One or 2 hard shifts and you'll need a new tranny. Do you want to do it once or twice?
excuse my ignorance, what do you mean 'hard shift'??

also how do you go about putting the engine on the engine stand? just from looking at it today, I'd probably use the mounts for the alternator and the power steering pump, but could really use some advice!

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

By “hard shift” he means shifting from one gear to another at high rpm under hard acceleration. The F series tranny won’t hold up to the torque of the BP engine for very long...even if driven nicely.

To mount your engine pull the engine and transmission and separate them. You will need some long bolts to pass through the arms of the stand and into the bolt holes that the tranny was bolted to. Bolt the mounting plate of the engine stand to the bellhousing and then lift the engine with your hoist and slide the engine stand over the post of the mounting plate. Carefully put the weight of the engine on the stand and Bob’s your uncle.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

thank you!! :D

mx3driv
antispam: No

Post by mx3driv »

whats a bp motor?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mx3driv wrote:whats a bp motor?

I sure hope that you are kidding be prepared to get flamed for that comment..

BP is a common engine code name for Mazda's 1.8L DOHC
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

jamesmx3 wrote:yeh its b6 to bp, just leaving the trans as I dont plan on boosting.

thanks

I hope u know that ur half shaft axle isn't going to bolt up to your BP if u are going to keep ur f-series trans.. There is a simple solution to that.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

My F series held fine to my freshly rebuilt BP. OEM crap rebuilt clutch didn't mind either, and I drove it like I stole it for at LEAST 3 months before I passed out and totalled it.

Do pull the trans, but take the struts off and pull the spindle down instead of trying to get the balljoint out. Its honestly not that hard.

There is nothing wrong with:

Pull entire trans and motor
put F onto BP
replace
reconnect
drive

easiest way. Not the "best" or most "preventative maintenance" way, but it still works just fine.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

I left my F transmission in when I first swapped the BP, I suggest
you dont and take the entire thing out, its quite difficult.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”