My last minute checklist.. am I missing anything?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Re: My last minute checklist.. am I missing anything?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

@ IP:

Thanks for the info! I'll check into valve lapping and that good stuff this weekend. Maybe I can do it sunday if all goes well. Shouldn't be too costly from what you are saying.

And if I can get it machine honed that would probably be better... if I am doing something, I want to do it right..

@ UC:

Yeah it was probably for my stuff :lol: . I wish I could live near some of you guys.. would be fun.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I also bought and used a $50 pack of vacuum hose in various sizes. I got the high temp polyurethane fancy kind, but you can get the standard stuff in bulk from most auto parts stores. Most of your old vacuum hoses are bound to be dried out.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

wytbishop wrote:I also bought and used a $50 pack of vacuum hose in various sizes. I got the high temp polyurethane fancy kind, but you can get the standard stuff in bulk from most auto parts stores. Most of your old vacuum hoses are bound to be dried out.
can you get 'em from any store? And i was actually going to replace my vacuum hoses.. but wanted to get fancy ones in blue :mrgreen:
Last edited by Dark_Rider2k3 on August 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Bonus! If you get the blue ones they throw in a big bag of rice!!!

You can get the stock clean looking black ones at any parts store. I got my fancy black ones at a speed shop. Anyplace they sell crap to Honda owners will have them.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol no mincing around your words there! Mind you I hate the clutter of any hoses, I'd have them invisible if I could. For me they're not an exciting part, why make them stand out? (says he with the purple engine bay :D )
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

At AAP we have the bulk hose, but it's too soft for my taste, I wouldn't recommend it.
But we also have some pre packed vacuum hose, which comes in 2 ft rolls, and is much harder , and looks much better than the bulk ones.
But they're all black...
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Well, that'd be up to you.
If it was me, if I had the chance to get the money in the short (ish) run, and my actual engine was running properly, I'd hold on the swap until then, and use the time to inspect/blueprint the new engine. As nice as it can be, paint will never look as good, or be as durable as powder coating.
Now, if your engine is busted and you just gotta do it, your choices get kinda limited... :shrug:
I took my block down the road to a reputable powder coating guy and he said that if you plan on running your engine hard or driving it often the you should use engine paint. he said that powder coating will hold the heat in and possibly cause problems with the cooling systems. I know he refuses to powder coat engines that are air cooled.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

haha didn't mean to sound all ricy.. just... i want something to make my engine bay look nicer.. my current bay looks... bland... dull.. :cry: .

And I didn't know that about PC'ing. Might have to look into painting it then.

IP, do you have a pat # or link to this item so I don't mix 'em up when I go there. I have an AAP 2 blocks from me :mrgreen: .

And when you mean "fancy" wy, what do you mean? (I mean.. isn't black... black? or is your like.. shiny?)

@ marcdh: It doesn't necessarily have to be the vac. line and hoses to stand out.. but I want my engine bay to look good and unique.. and not bland haha.
Inodoro Pereyra

I have to go to work in a couple of hours. I'll bring the part numbers when I come back.

Anyways, if you don't want to wait, ask the employee for the aisle where the oil filter wrenches are. In the same aisle you'll find the vacuum lines, in a plastic package with a dark pink backing.

Diogenes of Sinope.
garren1138

Post by garren1138 »

I'm in the process of doing an auto to manual swap and a bp swap in my 4wd protege.

I thought it would be easy but it's taken me a year, luckily I have two cars but one thing I overlooked was the dash harness not the ECU one I had that one but the one that goes to the clutch safety switch your going to need that one unless you wanna do some wiring yourself which I would say is too much work.

but the way that harness also goes to your headlights too so it's kinda a pain

I'm never doing a auto to manual swap again :(
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

By Fancy I mean that they are high temp silicone. They're black but they are shiney.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

@ IP:

That helps. I know where the oil filter wrenches are, and since they are in a plastic bag shouldn't be hard to notice 8) . I'll stop by hopefully tonight and get 'em.

@ Garren:

That's exactly what I want to do! I knew you had to re-wire the neutral safety switch, but I didn't want to lose that.. I wanted to retain the safety switch, and so was wanting to swap in the harness. So, I'm guessing you have to have both the dash and ecu harness then... good to know!

But yeah I heard it's rough.. but if it's just a wiring harness, it should just be a bunch of connectors.. right? *please let me be right LOL*

@ wytb:

that's what I thought you meant :mrgreen:

But yeah everyone.. Once I get started I am going to make a huge photo gallery and hopefully create a YouTube video of both swaps. I know it will make the swap a lot longer (constantly stopping to take pics) but I think it will totally be worth it.
garren1138

Post by garren1138 »

Ya If I knew what I know now the swap wouldn't be so bad it's just hard to find 4WD parts and I'm having issues with the oil and water mixing in the engine :(
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

garren1138 wrote:Ya If I knew what I know now the swap wouldn't be so bad it's just hard to find 4WD parts and I'm having issues with the oil and water mixing in the engine :(
Okay that makes sense. But speaking of, was it hard to do the harness swap? Did you have to rip out the entire dash to get to it all?
Inodoro Pereyra

Ok, here's some numbers for ya... :P

Vacuum tubing:

1/8" : part # 47417

5/32" : 47418

3/16" : 47419

1/4" : 47421

They don't come in plastic bags. They come in plastic packages with cardboard backing, pretty much like the oil filter wrenches.

And a bonus:

"Valve grinding compound" (for the valve lapping) part # 800036, in the "glues" section, right under the silicone sealant.

Hope it helps. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”