93 B6ME VAF to 95 B6DE MAF

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jkbreazeale

93 B6ME VAF to 95 B6DE MAF

Post by jkbreazeale »

I am sure that this has been answered somewhere before but after two hours of searching... I can't say that I didn't try.

I just installed a spectre intake onto my B6ME, but I am not too terribly happy with it because the size of the VAF takes up so much space that I can't convert it to a cold air intake so the filter sits right behind the top radiator hose. My wife's B6DE has a MAF that is alot smaller. I was just wondering it I could swap mine out for a newer one. I don't mind splicing wires but I don't want to hinder the performance on an already underperformance motor. (Yes I know, and no I don't want to swap motors... I like a good challenge :) )

Any help is appreciated.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 93 B6ME VAF to 95 B6DE MAF

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You're SOL as far as I know. VAF / MAF need to work with the correct ecu.. change one and she no work.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the only option for a upgrade is the RX7 one as I know of, and it's not exactly direct-fit... but it will look exactly like your old one iirc.

The roundey round ones aren't an option for you.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Well... that.. sucks. What was the reasoning behind going from VAF to MAF on these cars? Or is it because the VAF is so fricken huge and it takes up wayyyy to much space.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
MapaX5
antispam: No

Post by MapaX5 »

the old-style flapper design of the AFM created issues with throtle response and is an old-outdated system, that's why the new-er style engines have a built-in MAP sensor and the VAF is mostly for air temps and not flow.
we have the same system on the miatas, and we usually just buy a $180 megasquirt kit, and "be gone, flapper!" lol. it's a nice investment, as you can play with ignition and other things.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”