Front Speakers

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
soulJ
antispam: No

Front Speakers

Post by soulJ »

Okay sooooooo, I got the my car about a year ago, and I was living with my front speakers not working. I have to raise my volume pretty loud so I can hear it from the rear speakers. Now I wanna do something about it but, the problem is, I have no idea what to do or where to start looking. I was gonna check the fuse to see if it's blown but other than that, i'm lost. lol. Any ideas where to start?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: Front Speakers

Post by umcamara »

Get a 9-volt battery and solder or connect in some way a wire to each of the 2 terminals.
Remove the front door panels and the speakers, and disconnect the speaker-wire harnesses from the speakers. Touch one wire from the battery to one of the terminals on the speaker, and the other wire to the other terminal on the speaker (for a very short period of time). If the speaker pops out (or in), the voice coil is working, and you have an issue with your deck or your wiring.

Test the wiring using an ohm-meter and test for continuity between those speaker wire harnesses in the doors and the harness that plugs into the back of the deck. Factory wires to the deck should be:

Front left - blue w/ orange stipe, purple
Front right - white, blue w/ white stripe

If both of those things check out fine, replace your deck.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You can check for current on the back of the deck netween the pos and neg ouputs (said colours) to eliminate the deck as a suspect too. If its on and you get a current reading, the deck is okay. Or flip around some wires so the working outputs (rear) power the front speakers and see if that fixes it.

The most likely thing is the connections on the front speakers got shook loose and fell off.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
soulJ

Post by soulJ »

Perfect, I'll check it out over the long weekend. Thanks guys.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”