Rims

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
The_Silencer
antispam: No

Rims

Post by The_Silencer »

Hey guys, so I finally got my MX-3 to look how I want it, and there's only a few things left to do. One thing I need is a new set of wheels! I have asked around and done a lot of research and I am still unclear on a few things, was hoping you guys could help. First, my MX-3 is a 92 4 cyl. It has 15" rims (stock) and I don't know if I should increase the size because I was told that it can mess with the speedometer and other things, however, I was also told that upsizing wouldn't cause any problems. Let's say I wanted to buy 17's for my car, what would I have to do to ensure that my car ran properly after putting them on? Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate any help.
93vtecklr

Re: Rims

Post by 93vtecklr »

There are so many different options, as well as sooo many threads on this. Just as a helpful hint, in the red bar at the top of the screen, click search, and type in 'show me your wheels', the author is 'wytbishop'. That should help you pick a style you like. The search tool is very useful. To respond to your query however, upsizing isn't a big deal. As long as the rolling diameter of the wheel/tire combo isn't changed your speedo won't be affected. There are some really smart guys on this site who can tell you exactly how many km's/mi your speedo will be affected by different size tires.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
The_Silencer
antispam: No

Post by The_Silencer »

Hey man, thanks a lot for the help, I'll definitely check out that search feature hehe :mrgreen:
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Any time man, that's what we're all here for in the end, right?
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

93vtecklr wrote:There are some really smart guys on this site who can tell you exactly how many km's/mi your speedo will be affected by different size tires.
i'm one of these smart guys =P
AKA this site:
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

This is a nice little website i found when i was looking to do my wheel/tire upgrade.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I decided to go with 215/40/17 (to each, their own)
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Appearance”