Making mx-3 gears shorter ... how? Changing transmission?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
djArias
antispam: No

Making mx-3 gears shorter ... how? Changing transmission?

Post by djArias »

I've been thinking is there any chance to make gears of mx-3 1.6 dohc short? I know that in honda's people mix gears from different engines (for example first gears from smaller engine the rest from bigger one) to get maximum acceleration (it's called hybrid gearbox). So my idea was to get gears from for example mazda 121 1.4 and fit them into my gearbox - do you maybe know from which car the gears will fit?

Finally I would like to ask you about getting transmission from Protege LX into mx-3...
I've been doing some reading on the web, and I found this well tuned mazda:
http://www.drivingsports.com/site/2008/ ... azda-mx-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any difference between Protege gearbox and mx-3 gearbox, or what was the purpose of changing the gearbox in this car?
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
Mad Cow

Re: Making mx-3 gears shorter ... how? Changing transmission?

Post by Mad Cow »

That car belongs to cjthor on these forums, you can PM him about it.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

A lot of people do that assuming it will make the car faster. My transmission that came with my GS was already worked on for shorter gearing on 1st and maybe 2nd as well. It really doesn't always help. The idea is to get it to fly thru the RPMs faster so you can hit the higher powerband sooner in 1st, then shift on up from there. With my GS I find myself flying thru 1st too quickly and not getting enough pull. I have not raced anyone since I have no money for the track (lol) and I'm not going to do it illegally (had my car towed away once before, don't want to risk it again) so I'm not sure how effective it really is. But, if you're certain you want to do it, give it a shot and let us know how it goes! I wish I had stock ratios though. So if you want my advice, even though you never asked lol, just note that lowering gears does NOT mean you will have faster acceleration at all. But im sure if you nail the right ratios, you may notice an improvement but you may also lose as well. Good luck!
djArias

Post by djArias »

Vansolrick Thanks :)
I have a different problem at the moment - my gear box died - and it's a second gear box so I'm afraid I won't get the chance of trying different ratios (costs to much) - at the moment I'm trying to find Any GEARBOX that is tougher than the OEM one.

The problem that I'm struggling with is: differential gear. Did any one try using 323GT gearbox or anything like that?
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

djArias wrote:Vansolrick Thanks :)
I have a different problem at the moment - my gear box died - and it's a second gear box so I'm afraid I won't get the chance of trying different ratios (costs to much) - at the moment I'm trying to find Any GEARBOX that is tougher than the OEM one.

The problem that I'm struggling with is: differential gear. Did any one try using 323GT gearbox or anything like that?
Take some photos of the differential gear and post them here, they tend to fail by having the
spidergear pin slide out of the case. welding the pin in place or a machined sleve pressed on
is a common fix.

Are you running a boosted motor?
djArias

Post by djArias »

No my motor is not boosted. I will take pictures of it after the weekend.
As I called some of my friends that have used car parts I managed to find a cheap gearbox from MAZDA XEDOS 1.6 and as far as my opinion is concerned I think that gearbox from xedos will be in much better condition than the one from mx-3 - do you maybe know if it is the same (engines are same) ? Here is the picture of xedos engine + Gearbox
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey arent our gears already short enough?

like a tractor or something ? even when i was na i found myelf shifting way faster than my friends and their rice hondasa.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

djArias wrote:No my motor is not boosted. I will take pictures of it after the weekend.
As I called some of my friends that have used car parts I managed to find a cheap gearbox from MAZDA XEDOS 1.6 and as far as my opinion is concerned I think that gearbox from xedos will be in much better condition than the one from mx-3 - do you maybe know if it is the same (engines are same) ? Here is the picture of xedos engine + Gearbox
Given that both motors are from the "B" serise yes the bellhousing bolt pattern should be the same
and also the axle spline count should be also..
djArias

Post by djArias »

As I'm having small problems with translation of "spider gear" and "spider gear pin" into Polish could any of you please post a picture of Differential and somehow mark "spider gear" on it.
Thanks in advance
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>

Return to “Transmissions”