Harsh ac engagement.. taking to much power

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Harsh ac engagement.. taking to much power

Post by solo_ryder »

So whenever my ac compressor kicks in, its kicks in hard. I can feel it move my whole engine when it kicks in, which it does often.

It also uses soo much power, I have barely any power when the compressor is on. Sometimes ill be sitting at a light and it will turn on and almost kill my car, it will almost die cause it just robs power.. And the air will start getting warm..

What is causing this?
mazdags94

Re: Harsh ac engagement.. taking to much power

Post by mazdags94 »

Sounds like the compressor is going bad. My thought would be that it's seizing up inside, causing friction, which then makes it more difficult to turn the compressor pulley. Doing so will bog down your system (it may just be failing altogether). Your heat could be caused from friction inside the compressor. I would try and replace the compressor. Or you could try and spin the pully by hand to see how difficult it is to do so. (After removing the belts of course).

That would be my first guess... It sounds more mechanical than electrical. Good luck
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Ya. I agree

Well the good news I have a spare panasonic compressor from a klze so I will use that if need be.

I need to replace the belt and the idler pulley there anyways so I will try er out.
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

It isnt possible to change the compressor without having to bleed and refill the entire system right?
I have a similar problem. Takes a lot of power when kicked in, doesnt warm up though.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Here's a link with some good info. Particularly the importance of flushing and ensuring the proper oil and amount are used. I'd be inclinded to have a garage check the system and look at what the operating pressure is. Your system could be over charged and creating too much pressure. http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic50350.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you use that propane refridgerant or the 134a?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

I'll look into that! I dont exactly know which fluid. All I know is that it's the old one.. Not the environmental friendly one.. :lol:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That would be R12 and as such you can't get that anymore so you'd need to either retro fit your compressor with new O rings or go with the propane stuff the auto stores sell.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”