weird bp tranny problem, need an hint

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
kab-rst

weird bp tranny problem, need an hint

Post by kab-rst »

i just rebuilded my transmition, not the first time i'm doing so, and it allways was sucesfull.
i got the tranny back on, got the new clutch on, bleeded everything,triple checked everything, the clutch is hard,and all the gear goes in with one finger,everything seems perfect

i get in the car, start it, everything still going good,i get out of the garage, shift into second, and it's still normal

as soon as i shift third, shifter became hard, and third gear made a grinding noise,plus my speedo just turn off!!! i was sure it was my vss(speedogear) that fell in the tranny or something that i did wrong,even if i'm totally sure i checked everything

.i decided to turn back home since it wasent too safe to go on like that, i made a U turn
and drove back home in third gear.as i got to my place, i wasent able to put ANY GEAR in, as i forced the 4th in to at least move the car as it was still moving, my speedo came back, :?: :?: as i came to a stand still, all my gear was going in perfectly...i checked my speedo gear and it have no sing of wear what so ever, probably the conector that was soaked in tranny oil when i filled it up, to be honest it's the last of my concern...

so...
the speedo gear is good
the car shift perfectly when the car is off
the car shift perfectly when on, on a stand still
as soon as the car is moving the gear dont want to go in AT ALL
no rod have been bended
all bushing are brass,were working perfectly fine
the only thing i changed was the clutch kit and the tranny oil, tried a new brand, could it be a problem? i seriously doubt so..

the clutch is new, i did try to ajust the clutch, but if it was really the clutch the problem, i seriously dont think the gear would go in when the car is running, on a stand still or not

if there were a problem with the rebuilt it wouldn't want to shift,would it be on my work table, or on the car

if anyone have an idea, let me know, i kinda running out of transmition
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
therieldeal

Re: weird bp tranny problem, need an hint

Post by therieldeal »

check your clutch linkage, master and slave cylinders
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

the clutch master,line,and slave arent even 2 months old, the clutch is doing its job perfectly, i even tried changing tranny oil just in case.

it's even worst than if i wanted to shift through gears clutch-less
it just dosent want to go in ,like if i hadn't any syncro, even double clutch and rev matching didin't help

so it's defenetly not the clutch,line,shifter rod etc, everything goes smoothly untill i drive at 20-30 km/h,then i have simply no tranny untill i stop at a stop sing

i'm not taking any chance of ruining my gears and i'm getting it off.i just dont understand, it i hadn't done my rebuilt corectly, why would it shift while being stoped, even with the car running,i mean the whole transmition is moving and it still can shift, wich would be near impossible with no clutch/synchro

i'm looking for a protege gt /scort gt tranny asap, i got a huge meet in 2 weeks.i live in quebec, if anybody lives near ,i'm willing to do a lot of driving
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Hmmm, Kab-rst: I'm thinking your problem can be the pilot bearing, or the input shaft worn out where it engages the pilot bearing. If you're gonna take the tranny out, take a good look at them.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i did the rebuilt after i blew my transmition badly

i took a pro-gt 90 bace, with a pro-gt diff, but i kept my gears/primary/secondary shaft of my blown transmition, since i changed the exploded case and diff, i tought my gears could be still fine.

i'll chec the bearings and syncro and change em for some spare one i got...
jsut piss me off that i actually lost a day take it off, tearing it down,rebuilding it and putting everything back together to notice it just dosen't works
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
Inodoro Pereyra

Kab-rst: I don't know if your last post was in response to mine, but if it was, I think there's some confusion here.
I wasn't talking about the transmission's bearings. The pilot bearing is in the flywheel, and the end of the input shaft fits in it.

Diogenes of Sinope.
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

it's new , got it changed at the same time as i got my flywheel buffed
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
Inodoro Pereyra

Hmmm. How about the input shaft? It needs to fit in the pilot bearing tightly, without binding...

Diogenes of Sinope.
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i think i'll be able to diagnostic the problem once the tranny will be taken off, i'll put some news back tomorow
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

How did it go?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i wasent able to find the exa t problem so i threw away teh shafts, kept only the syncro,fifth gear assembly,diff and the cassing,
i bought a pro lx 96-98 trany and it workes perfectly,and since i finally putted my hand on a mazdaspeed lsd diff, i'll have to open it once again

by the way, i tried to put the mazdaspeed internal in a protege gt transmition, since they are both g-series, and IT DOSENT FIT

everything goes in, but the uper cassing wont sit,plus, the fifth gear assembly is different from a protege gt and a speed

the protege speed cassing WILL sit on the protege gt base part of the transmition, that's about it

so i rebuilded the protege speed with a protege gt differential and sold it as-is with an open diff
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
wick3dbluntz420
antispam: No

Post by wick3dbluntz420 »

Ino's prolly right,either the pilot bearing wasnt seated fully or incorrect endplay.
what did it mic @ ??
That is assuming nothing was bent or incorrectly installed of course. :roll:
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i seriously doubt the pilot bearring, since i simply swapped another transmition and everything was perfect

seriously i cant say,i made dozens of those rebuilt and it allways was sucesfull, wich i forgot something,wich there was a problem with the syncro/gear.
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114

Return to “Transmissions”