bent shift shaft on trans now what?!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
wagZE

bent shift shaft on trans now what?!

Post by wagZE »

Forgot to take off the linkage when pulling the motor n tranny. Oops!!! Got new motor in runs nice... I go to take it on a test drive and oh s--- can't shift. The shifter shaft on the trans was bent too bad.. Please tell me I don't have to pull the transmission to replace.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: bent shift shaft on trans now what?!

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Sorry, you do.
If your shifter shaft is bent bad, you have 2 options:

1. Get another tranny.

2. Take it out, open it (it can be complicated if you don't know what you're doing), take the shaft off, straighten it, get everything back together.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You don't...it's a bit of a beeotch but it's not impossible. Remove the console and unbolt the support plate from the floor. Get the car on stands and disconnect the shift linkage and stabilizer linkage from the tranny. Here's the trick...the linkage will probably not want to go past the exhaust. Unhook a couple of the exhaust hangers at the rear of the car to allow the exhaust to droop a little. then just finesse it out and finesse a new one back in.

It's also easier if you remove the shifter arm and linkage from the support plate. Unbolt the shifter from the shifter arm under the car. Once the console is out you can see the spring in the shifter pivot housing. Pull out the little boot. Get a pick or a small screwdriver and pull on the top coil of that spring and it will come out easily. Then the shifter will pull out from the top.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J2-054.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

No, you don't need to drop the tranny if you did what I think you did! SO don't give up hopes yet from the guy above!

I'm assuming you meant you left your stabilizer bar or actual shifter linkage from the shifter to tranny in place when you tried to pull the engine. You can either replace this or try to bend it back to make it work. Either way, the procedure will be the same!

Pull up the center console. Unscrew the nuts holding the shifter in place from inside the car. Jack up car and get under it. You will need to remove the bolts on the tranny end, one that holds the stabilizer bar and one that holds the shifter linkage. I think you can then drop the linkage down, there might be another bolt holding it up from underneath I can't remember. You also might have to move you exhaust out of the way, but you should just be able to remove it from a hanger or 2 and push.

Note: This is a good time to replace all shifter bushings and install an anti-drop bracket.

If these are whats bent, than fix them. If not, I know you can at least access the shaft that goes into the tranny, but I don't know if you can replace it. You might be able to just bend it back to at least hold you over for a little while.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Damn it Charlie you stole my thunder.

LOL Glad to know we hit exactly the same points.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah if the shift shaft in the tranny is bent that's a much bigger job.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

How the hell do you bend the shift shaft? is it the one going INTO the tranny where the ba connects? or the shift linkage? or the little bar that the stabilizer shift bar goes to?(which ive bent before)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Inodoro Pereyra

Sorry guys, I don't mean to be an a-hole, a douche, a d---, or start a flame war. The op said he bent the "shifter shaft on the trans". Now, assuming he meant this shaft:

He's gonna have to drop the tranny. Otherwise, if he tries to straighten it out without disassembling it, he risks cracking the tranny case.

Now, if he made a mistake and what he bent is the linkage, I agree the tranny can stay.

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

I wish it was the car side but no it is on the trans. At least its not raining. It is the one in the picture. I've spent all my money on this car new engine all that good stuff... So needless to say I don't want to pay some dude to put a new shift shaft in. Is it complicated? I have a spare tranny that was in a bad engine fire that I bet would be a good donor for parts. Any further advice on replacing this would be great as my tranny is almost out of the car. Thanks for the replies guys
Inodoro Pereyra

wagZE wrote:I wish it was the car side but no it is on the trans. At least its not raining. It is the one in the picture. I've spent all my money on this car new engine all that good stuff... So needless to say I don't want to pay some dude to put a new shift shaft in. Is it complicated? I have a spare tranny that was in a bad engine fire that I bet would be a good donor for parts. Any further advice on replacing this would be great as my tranny is almost out of the car. Thanks for the replies guys
Sorry.
I was kinda hoping it was the linkage... :(
Replacing the shaft itself is not really complicated, but getting to it can be. There are a few small parts you need to take off to be able to open the tranny case, and they have to go back the right way. If you have no experience on transmissions I'd definitely recommend you to stay away from it, unless there's someone with you, to guide you.
Go to a junkyard. You can normally get a tranny for about $80-$100.

Good luck. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Well I got it off and It was definately a bad idea to try and beat the shift shaft with a hammer to try and bend back. I now have a crack in my bell housing (d'oh) its weldable though. Anyways like I said I have another transmission that got scorched in an engine fire maybe I can combine them into one
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Inodoro Pereyra

Well, the best advise I can give you is: take pictures of every step you make. Detailed pictures up close, and keep everything organized.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

http://www.imazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to sign up to view threads in their forum but they have this thread which is a complete teardown and rebuild of a G series tranny with very god pictures. I keep a copy of it around for just such difficulties as the one you're having right now.

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Changing the shift shaft is actually a pretty easy deal. Separating the case of the tranny is not so dangerous as long as you don't touch the shift forks. Once the case is open the shift shaft is bolted to the detent pivot thingy with a single bolt IIRC. However if you buggered the belhousing of your good tranny and your scorched tranny is no good, you will probably need help taking them both apart to combine them. It can be pretty intimidating inside your first transmission.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Thanks for the links and advice you guys are why I still come to the Mx3 forum even though I've got an mx6 now. Very informative thanks! Oh when I was lookin at the tranny with the jammed shift shaft it looks like the sleeve thingee in the middle with the splines that the axles slide into is gone its not there I hope it didn't shatter into pieces. Ill get an update tomorrow cheers fellas
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The side gears of the differential tend to fall down when the axles aren't in place and you bang the tranny around. If you handle the tranny sort of carefully the usually stay put but hitting the shift shaft with a hammer would probably knock them loose.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Transmissions”