KLZE in and running but wont stay

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
garretc16

KLZE in and running but wont stay

Post by garretc16 »

okay so i put the ZE in it starts great but it requires gas to continue to run.... at firsti thought it was timing it was off a bit so we fixed that and it is timed perfect, i have the codes o2 sensors, MAF, EGR and crankshaft positioning sensor.
I am running the k8 ecu with the probinator chip. I am wondering do i use the MAF from an mx6 or an mx3? also with a bad crankshaft positioning senosr is that what would be causing it to not want to run without gas? i double checked the vacuum and it looks to be set up properly. one other thing that doesnt make sense is why i am getting the code for EGR when i am using the chipped ECU i thought that it blocked it out when you use this ecu.?

Please help
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KLZE in and running but wont stay

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

With the exeption of the EGR code, the others code are all critical systems and each individually could very much cause the problem you describe, especially with a combination of them.

You need working 02's so the ECU knows that the mixture is proper, and adjust accordingly
You need a working VAF (not MAF) to the ECU knows how much air the motor is taking in, so it can send the right amount of fuel.
You need a working CPS to the ECU knows the timing

You need to use the VAF that your Probinator was programmed for. It's possible that you're not knowingly running the wrong one. The Probe/626/Mx-6 (KL02) VAF is different than the Mx-3 one.

I believe with the Probinator the EGR code is still present, but it doesn't show a CEL.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Car should run with a faulty CPS (or without one at all), I confirmed this as mine started up and ran with a disconnected CPS. Though the combination of all those codes could be causing what you're describing...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
garretc16

Post by garretc16 »

okay, so i replaced the CPS sensor and the o2 sensors the only codes that i am getting no are 16 and 29 which are both EGR.... it starts up and then wont idle... i am thinking vacuum leak... or soemthing is hooked up wrong... deos anybody have a pciture of there motor with all the proper vacuum and stuff... i used the curved neck vacuum diagram from on here so all the little vacuum is alright, if its not vacuum related do you guys have any other ideas? I was thinking making TPS sensor but there is no code coming up for that.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

garretc16 wrote:okay so i put the ZE in it starts great but it requires gas to continue to run....
Many cars exhibit this phenomenon.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

electric cars don't...

I wonder what wytbishop and inodoro have to say about hydrogen cars?

Sorry that was a jerkish thing to say... but heck, I'm a meanie after all.

After the hullabaloo of the probinator, a lot of people are saying don't run it.

You might want to try a different ecu combo. Are you using the correct disty too?

Also, VAF might be suspect as well. It was with my ZE.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1.) Throttle positioning sensor, make sure its position right
2.) The coolant lines to the throttle body. Make sure its connected. Make sure the coolant hoses to the T/B arent clogged (blow through them).
3.) See if the coolant is going through the T/B. To do this you can take off the T/B or the I/M altogether. Blow through where the coolant line connects onto the T/B. If air doesnt blow on the other end, than the T/B is clogged in that area. Fix it by taking off the bottom plate. Becareful not to strip the bolts because a normal hex screw driver wont work (well atleast for me).
I bought one of these
http://www.hobbytool.com/ProductImages/ ... s/3033.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I used a rachet to unscrew the bolts.

4.) re-check your gaskets.
5.) check for leaks around the intake.
6.) Did you bolt the I/M to heads at the propper spec? 15lbs should do
7.) You must be 100% sure the car is timed.
8.) Make sure the VAF isnt put on the opposite direction. (it happens)
9.) Have you rescently changed your cams? Make sure they are aligned
10.) Check the distributor
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”