Just Bought My 1st MX-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Just Bought My 1st MX-3

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

beefmobile wrote:

ok, i've got most of it off. how many bolts are on the underside of the manifold? i've got the injectors/fuel rail off and these bolts are STUCK ON. lots of PB blaster and muscles.

how do you get to the underside bolts? i cant seem to get the one on the drivers side under the throttle body....ugh
I'm not sure. I think it was 4. Take the battery and throttle body off. Anyways, it's a tight space, so you need to be patient. Take your time, make sure you don't bust anything...including your knuckles! :shock:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
beefmobile
antispam: No

Post by beefmobile »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
beefmobile wrote:

ok, i've got most of it off. how many bolts are on the underside of the manifold? i've got the injectors/fuel rail off and these bolts are STUCK ON. lots of PB blaster and muscles.

how do you get to the underside bolts? i cant seem to get the one on the drivers side under the throttle body....ugh
I'm not sure. I think it was 4. Take the battery and throttle body off. Anyways, it's a tight space, so you need to be patient. Take your time, make sure you don't bust anything...including your knuckles! :shock:
plz stay online!!!! lol i need help!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

i've got 5 bolts off the top and 2 off the bottom and it wont come off. i cant find any other bolts, or at least i dont see them. ugh this is getting frustrating. also, now that the sun is in a different area, i can see the hole where the coolant was coming. its just a straight up hole, no clamps or anything. and autozone gave me the wrong hose! dammit they gave me the hose for the front top one. ugh this is sucking!!!
Cars:

2006 Mustang GT-- 12.5 @ 112 mph; NSR Stage II Cams, CMCV Delete Plates, GT500 Throttle Body, U/D pullies, JLT Intake, MAC Headers, O/R X Pipe, Borla Stingers, 4.10 Gears, Hurst Shifter, FRPP Springs, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Power Steering Delete, Brembo Brakes, Chrome Grille, Cervinis Chin Spoiler, GT500 18" Wheels, Blacked Out Lights, and much much more.

2006 Mercury Mariner V6-DD
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8 SE-Wife
1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

United States Marine Corps
Inodoro Pereyra

If I remember correctly (no guaranties here), you should have a bolt right under each of the intake runners, a little to the right. There's a rib under each of the 3 right runners, and the bolts should be right besides that rib, to the right (passenger side).

You need to disassemble first, and then go buy the hose. I'm pretty sure it's 3/4'' hose, but I can be wrong. Either way, you need to go buy heater hose by the foot, not a premolded radiator hose.

Believe me, I work at Advance Auto Parts. 9 out of 10 times, when somebody comes to buy a hose without bringing a sample, they get the wrong one. There's just no way for us to guess what the customer needs.

Diogenes of Sinope.
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:If I remember correctly (no guaranties here), you should have a bolt right under each of the intake runners, a little to the right. There's a rib under each of the 3 right runners, and the bolts should be right besides that rib, to the right (passenger side).

You need to disassemble first, and then go buy the hose. I'm pretty sure it's 3/4'' hose, but I can be wrong. Either way, you need to go buy heater hose by the foot, not a premolded radiator hose.

Believe me, I work at Advance Auto Parts. 9 out of 10 times, when somebody comes to buy a hose without bringing a sample, they get the wrong one. There's just no way for us to guess what the customer needs.
ok i got the manifold off and the hose is fine...it's on of the plugs!! blah!!! so i need to go return the hose and get the plug.....do you know EXACTLY what size it is? i measured 3-3 1/2 centi's....not completely sure tho...there's 2 back there, i need the bigger one.
Cars:

2006 Mustang GT-- 12.5 @ 112 mph; NSR Stage II Cams, CMCV Delete Plates, GT500 Throttle Body, U/D pullies, JLT Intake, MAC Headers, O/R X Pipe, Borla Stingers, 4.10 Gears, Hurst Shifter, FRPP Springs, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Power Steering Delete, Brembo Brakes, Chrome Grille, Cervinis Chin Spoiler, GT500 18" Wheels, Blacked Out Lights, and much much more.

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

Inodoro Pereyra

The big one on the block is 35 mm. If you can, buy brass plugs. Anyways, take a good look at the leaking plug. If it's corroded, that means the car has been run for a long time on straight water, no antifreeze. If that's the case, you need to do a radiator flush before refilling your cooling system with 50/50.
One last thing: DO NOT BUY RUBBER FREEZE PLUGS!!!
Those plugs are very seductive, because they're easy to install, but they're not meant for street engines, and will rot within a few months if you use them.

Diogenes of Sinope.
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:The big one on the block is 35 mm. If you can, buy brass plugs. Anyways, take a good look at the leaking plug. If it's corroded, that means the car has been run for a long time on straight water, no antifreeze. If that's the case, you need to do a radiator flush before refilling your cooling system with 50/50.
One last thing: DO NOT BUY RUBBER FREEZE PLUGS!!!
Those plugs are very seductive, because they're easy to install, but they're not meant for street engines, and will rot within a few months if you use them.
it's actually 35.21mm :wink: :wink: lol

my problem wasnt that the plug was corroded, it was just completely missing lol. the only plug that autozone had was rubber ones, so i said F that and went next door to Advance haha. the brass one was $21! so i got the steel one instead: $.69 :D

i was balls deep in that motor all day for a $.69 piece of steel!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

well, most everythings back together. ima paint the inlet tube tonight and tighten the last bolts and do a radiator flush tmrw. still waiting on the clutch. hopefully i can have this bad boy on the road by the end of the week.
Cars:

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Not to many people put the effort into fixing a underpowered B6-ME. Congrats on fixing and replacing to get another MX-3 back on the road.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Inodoro Pereyra

beefmobile wrote:

my problem wasnt that the plug was corroded, it was just completely missing lol. the only plug that autozone had was rubber ones, so i said F that and went next door to Advance haha. the brass one was $21! so i got the steel one instead: $.69 :D

i was balls deep in that motor all day for a $.69 piece of steel!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

well, most everythings back together. ima paint the inlet tube tonight and tighten the last bolts and do a radiator flush tmrw. still waiting on the clutch. hopefully i can have this bad boy on the road by the end of the week.
:shock: :shock: They made a mistake. I don't remember the exact price now, but I do know brass freeze plugs are no more than $2 each. Maybe he gave you the price for the whole set.

Anyways, look at the bright side...you're almost done! 8)

Diogenes of Sinope.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Hey man. Welcome to the forum.
Just in case you didn't know, there's an online factory shop manual link on the main-page. There's more info in there than you could ever care to know.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
beefmobile wrote:

:shock: :shock: They made a mistake. I don't remember the exact price now, but I do know brass freeze plugs are no more than $2 each. Maybe he gave you the price for the whole set.

Anyways, look at the bright side...you're almost done! 8)
it might have been for the whole set. if i would have know they were $2 i woulda got it. oh well. if coolant starts pouring out at least i know exactly what's wrong :wink:

well, im out to finish everything up i'll post when she's sputtering again :D
Cars:

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

umcamara wrote:Hey man. Welcome to the forum.
Just in case you didn't know, there's an online factory shop manual link on the main-page. There's more info in there than you could ever care to know.
ok cool. no i didnt know that. thx a lot!
Cars:

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

Inodoro Pereyra

beefmobile wrote: it might have been for the whole set. if i would have know they were $2 i woulda got it. oh well. if coolant starts pouring out at least i know exactly what's wrong :wink:

Scratch what I said. Today, when I went to work, I took a brass freeze plug from the cabinet and scanned it, and, sure enough, it was $1.99.
But then, I went to the computer to see exactly what their mistake was, and it wasn't a mistake! There is a brass plug for the B6 that's $21.48, and, for what the computer says (I didn't have it in stock, so I couldn't look at the actual part), it's just one plug!! :shock:

Anyways, don't worry about the steel plug. The reason why brass plugs are better is because they don't get rusted if you use plain water instead of antifreeze. If you use the recommended 50/50 ratio of water/AF, the steel plugs will last forever.

Diogenes of Sinope.
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
beefmobile wrote: it might have been for the whole set. if i would have know they were $2 i woulda got it. oh well. if coolant starts pouring out at least i know exactly what's wrong :wink:

Scratch what I said. Today, when I went to work, I took a brass freeze plug from the cabinet and scanned it, and, sure enough, it was $1.99.
But then, I went to the computer to see exactly what their mistake was, and it wasn't a mistake! There is a brass plug for the B6 that's $21.48, and, for what the computer says (I didn't have it in stock, so I couldn't look at the actual part), it's just one plug!! :shock:

Anyways, don't worry about the steel plug. The reason why brass plugs are better is because they don't get rusted if you use plain water instead of antifreeze. If you use the recommended 50/50 ratio of water/AF, the steel plugs will last forever.
ok thx good to know.

well, everything's back together and running. for some reason, the engine is idling really really weird. it's running like it's got a huge cam in it; so i bought new plug wires but i just got home and havent had the time to put them in...BUT i threw a CEL!!....dont know why?? now that i've got the coolant issue under control, i cant believe i'm throwing a code!!!!

how do i know what the problem is? do these cars have OBDII? its raining outside so i didnt get a chance to look.
Cars:

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

No OBD-II until '96. Seeing as yours is a '93, it's OBD-I.
There's a procedure for pulling OBD-I codes, it involves jumping TEn and Ground, using an LED, in the Diagnostic connector under the hood.

I've never done it since my car's a '96. Try searching for some of your answers, you'll find way more info than anyone can provide in one post. Plus people start to get irritated. (Not me of course)
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

umcamara wrote:Hey man. Welcome to the forum.
i cant seem to find it, could anyone point me in the right direction?

also, i've flush the coolant, what are the factory specs for refilling (ie. how much? what mixture, etc)
Cars:

1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”