Fuel Tank Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Fuel Tank Questions

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Hi guys, so ive been having the whole lossing power when turning right thing going on for a week or 2 tonight so i pulled the pump to take a look and low and behold my tank is full of shite and the fuel sock is crammed with rusty shite. Now i know that my tank needs a clean out an looking at the state of the pump sock and the fact orange fuel got thru the pump id say the pump needs replacing, but my questions are 1) How hard is it to drop the tank to clean it out or can i do it from under the back seat? and 2) do i just rinse the tank out to get the crap out or shud i use some sort of detergent or what not. My brother has a BA 323f with a walbro pump in that i can have cuz hes putting it nack to stock to sell so i jus need to sort the tank.

Cheers in advance and sorry if this is a repost but searching "Dirty Fuel Tank" gave like 10000 hits.
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
trick69

Re: Fuel Tank Questions

Post by trick69 »

you need to get the a-- end in the air and remove the straps that hold the tank. their should be a drain plug drain your tank first it's easier. use methanol or methel alchol dump in like a gallon shake the tank and drain it into a bucket, filter the alchol with paper towel and repeat untill it's clean of debree. Good luck
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Cheers fella, a job for the weekend i guess. an on a 91 im assuming the tank straps are gonna be completely rusted solid yea?
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

trick69

Post by trick69 »

probably
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Disconnect the battery, NO smoking. The hoses can be a little hard to get off, take your time and you'll have it dropped in about an hour. Why is there so much crap in your tank? I go to only popular name brand gas stations.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Probably cuz shes like 18 years old, an i cant speak for her whole lifetime so no ideaq what sorta fuels been in ther. Anyways im trying to drop the tank now an im stuck at the pipes on the back of the tank, im fairly big an got big forearms so its a tightspot to reach and each pipe has a little rusted clip on it which i have no idea how to tackle, an i missing something here or do i need to drop the rear axle/swaybar assembly to reach them? ;o

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Interesting, if you figure this all out, could you make a writeup for us. I want to change my fuel pump and check out my fuel tank too since it may be a restriction for my new ZE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Yea sure, ive got the tank off an im in the process of sourcing a new tank so ill do a guide on removal and refitting an take some pictures of what you really dont wanna see in your tank, i think mines gotta be a shining bad example of a corroded tank. Daninski you werent joking, those pipes going to the tank were a sodding impossibility with seriously rusted clamps on em lol. had to drop the front of the tank and work between the rear axle and the tank through the rear wheel well, wasnt fun i can tell you :roll:

krazysteve

Post by krazysteve »

Hi, just got mine back on the road this week. Having the same probs as yours turning right, also sometimes dies/ misses when giving some stick, did cleaning the tank sort it? Emptied the tank today, full of crap & some water. (been stood 18 months) refilled wih fresh fuel seems better, still dies on r/handers. Changing fuel filter next week, been told maybe dizzy, but this was changed about 10k back by the previous owner. It passed it's mot on emissions no probs, smooth tickover and revs to the redline no probs.
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Got mine back on the road a few days ago, with a new tank but the old fuel pump, sock and filter and she is running perfectly at the moment, no power loss when turning etc. Check the sock on ur fuel pump for fine rusty silt, i know from stripping my tank that allot got thru to the front filter so they both need replacing really.

Im gonna write a guide for fuel tank removal and refitting once i find my camera.

-Pete

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”