Tough Decision?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Lesley

Tough Decision?

Post by Lesley »

Hey all. I love my 1996 MX3 GS, but it's getting long in the tooth (213,000 kms) and has a few problems that I just don't want to spend the money on (leaky gas tank, p. steering pulley, holes in door sills, rust and anonymously dented driver's fender ).
I'm looking at a 93 GS tomorrow with very low kms. But it burns a bit of oil, and looks to have been painted with a house paint roller. :)

Besides OBD II, and cockpit differences...they're basically the same car, no?
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr
hgallegos915

Re: Tough Decision?

Post by hgallegos915 »

if its ob1 , i would prefer it, its easier to work with(IN MY OPINION)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Sounds like a good KLZE candidate. I like the older OBD-I models better because if their ease of modding and being able to pay off people at inspection time.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If it's a special edition it will have leather interior. If it's low miles and special edition it is definitely worth considering.

Almost every stock K8 burns oil. It's sort of part of the deal with these cars. If it's very bad it may have to been dealt with but if the rest of the car is in nice shape I think it would definitely be worth doing the work. As for differences by year...yes the 93' will be OBD1 but that really only affects you if you're swapping the engine. Otherwise I'd say that's not really a factor. The dash will be different from your old one and there are a few electronic differences in the engine compartment that could affect you but in general, yes it is the same car.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Go with the 93, swapping a ze is so much cheaper than bodywork. You really need to think of the extent to which you are willing to go with the car. Are you looking for just a DD? Or you want some zip with your zap? Some people like having ugly cars that go like snot. There are a lot of factors involved. I got my SE with 234,000kms about 3 years ago, now it's at 268,000. As long as you properly maintain, and keep up your preventative maintenance you shouldn't have a problem with whichever you choose.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Well, I now have 2 MX3s, lol. I couldn't pass up a 127,000 kms car.
I love my car, but the gas tank is leaky, it needs ball joints, and has lots of rust spots.

A KLZE swap is a possibility in the future, I've taken my current car to lapping days at Mosport as well as autocross, and love the way they handle.

I may just garage the new one for a while and drive my current car until fall, then sell it.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”