how do I remove the stock deck?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
dash
antispam: No

how do I remove the stock deck?

Post by dash »

that is, without mangleage and destruction?

yes i know; i ask noob questions. :oops:
Who else drives a stock silver 94 GS?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: how do I remove the stock deck?

Post by umcamara »

Pull out the ashtray and remove the phillips-head screw.

Remove the plastic bezel that surrounds the shifter and includes the part that the ashtray slides into.

Remove the plastic panel that runs parallel to the driver's door between the door and the dash.

Remove the plastic panel that your knees would normally hit, there's roughly 2 or 3 phillips-head screws, 2 at the bottom, and 1 or 2 where the last plastic panel was.

Remove the plastic bezel that surrounds the dash cluster. Theres 2 srews at the top of the bezel, 2 directly under those, 2 near your knees, and 1 or 2 around where the radio is.

Now you can remove the screws and pull the radio out.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
dash

Post by dash »

umcamara wrote:Pull out the ashtray and remove the phillips-head screw.

Remove the plastic bezel that surrounds the shifter and includes the part that the ashtray slides into.

Remove the plastic panel that runs parallel to the driver's door between the door and the dash.

Remove the plastic panel that your knees would normally hit, there's roughly 2 or 3 phillips-head screws, 2 at the bottom, and 1 or 2 where the last plastic panel was.

Remove the plastic bezel that surrounds the dash cluster. Theres 2 srews at the top of the bezel, 2 directly under those, 2 near your knees, and 1 or 2 around where the radio is.

Now you can remove the screws and pull the radio out.
and i have to remove all of that stuff to get at the deck?
no shortcuts?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

It's really quite easy to take that stuff apart.

However, not having had a stock head unit in the car when I bought it, I hadn't realized that you don't need to do that. The stock radio has 4 holes at each corner in the front, they should be covered by llittle plastic inserts. You need to gently pry those out. You can then insert 4 long skinny nails, or anything else you might have that fits, but it has to have pretty good bending strength because otherwise they'll just bend during the next step.

With all whatevers in the holes, pull the two on the left side towards the left, and the two on the right side towards the right at the same time. While doing this pull all the whatevers towards you.

There are radio removal tools for doing this, but they're not necessary. Ford, Volvo, Volkswagon, and I'm not sure who else use the same system in many of their cars.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
dash

Post by dash »

umcamara wrote:It's really quite easy to take that stuff apart.

However, not having had a stock head unit in the car when I bought it, I hadn't realized that you don't need to do that. The stock radio has 4 holes at each corner in the front, they should be covered by llittle plastic inserts. You need to gently pry those out. You can then insert 4 long skinny nails, or anything else you might have that fits, but it has to have pretty good bending strength because otherwise they'll just bend during the next step.

With all whatevers in the holes, pull the two on the left side towards the left, and the two on the right side towards the right at the same time. While doing this pull all the whatevers towards you.

There are radio removal tools for doing this, but they're not necessary. Ford, Volvo, Volkswagon, and I'm not sure who else use the same system in many of their cars.
oh righteous!
i saw those little holes and thought: these have to be relevant.
but im lazy and just came and asked you guys. :shrug:
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

umcamara wrote:It's really quite easy to take that stuff apart.

I tried using a bent-up coathanger when taking the deck out of my parent's ford and it just didn't work, I struggled for a good half-hour before I gave up and just bought a set of remover tools for $5. When I took the deck out I realized that it would be next to impossible to pull that certain one out with anything but the remover tools because of the design of the clips.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

That could be, but the problem may be that a coat hanger is too ductile, it'll just deform when you push outwards in the holes. That's the reason why I suggested long nails, because they're case-hardened steel, and won't bend.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

uh... if you have a pocket in your second DIN, just pull it out and reach up and press the clips in, pull the radio out. 30 seconds.
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

Yea I just used 2 screw drivers, and it slid out with no problom.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

pull really hard
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
dash

Post by dash »

projectzemx3 wrote:pull really hard
ha ha.
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

I've fabricated the removal hooks with a coat hanger and some wire-cutters. And if all else fails, just blugen the f*ck out of it with a hammer. Hammers fix everything. :lol:
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Sheen

Post by Sheen »

First, remove the two plastic hole covers on the left and right sides of the radio. They are about half and inch wide; just jiggle and pry them out. Then you will see the holes where you insert what are called "radio removal keys." On either side there are two small holes separated by an elongated hole. Insert two of the radio removal keys, one in each set of the small holes.

You will need two of the U shaped tools, one for either side of the radio. Alternatively, you can make U-shaped tools out of lengths of still coat hanger. Cut them about four inches long, then bend them into a "U" shape with the points as far apart as the holes in the radio. Insert them until you hear a click, then push the left one to the left and the right one to the right. This will depress the clips that hold the radio in. While you're holding the clips out, pull on them and the radio should slide right out.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Do you have any concept of time??
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:Do you have any concept of time??
Judging by his post count, he's new to the forum. Possibly to forums in general? Cut him some slack, we all have to start somewhere.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”