Air conditioning

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
czwan

Air conditioning

Post by czwan »

Last summer I turned on my AC to realize all the refrigerant had leaked out. I got a can of the refill charge stuff, and it only lasted a few days before it was gone. I toughed out the rest of the summer with no AC. (I actually can stand this, but sometimes it's unacceptable to show up places when you're drenched in sweat).

So obviously there's a leak. My MX3 is getting to the point where it's not worth spending a bunch of money on. Has anyone ever figured out a place to get AC repair on the cheap? Kind of a vague question, because it depends on what/who you have available in your area, I know.

Probably not much of a chance, but I'm throwing this out there just in case someone has a good suggestion/experience. It is insanely hot this summer!
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Re: Air conditioning

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

It's probobly just a leak in one of the lines. If its not the compressor itself you shouldnt be having to pay out the a--.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Even if it was the compressor, I'm sure you could find one at a junkyard for cheap.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

its a big leak obviously and since it has set for a long time without a charge, you would need to get a receiver/drier too, because the dessicant bag in it would have gone bad by then, so thats more money you would have to spend on top of the repairs
tom
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

AC repair on the cheap would be from yourself.

You can begin with getting that UV detector stuff, run it through and come back with a blacklight to find out where the leak is.

Then if you discover it's on a pipe joint, go purchase a AC o-ring kit from your cute parts store, and disconnect the fitting in question. replace the o-ring as needed if that's your issue.
I don't believe you need the dryer/receiver, but it's possible.
I pulled a dryer from a junkyard car last year, and installed it this year.

Still works. Meh.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”