canadian tire code readers or elmscan ??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
frontpage

canadian tire code readers or elmscan ??

Post by frontpage »

hi there i was wondering if the canadian tire code readers are any good i have one 4cyl mx-3 1995/96 with the engine light on .. but i also have a 93 mx3 1.8 auto and a 93 1.8 MANUAL so i would like to get an all in one if possible or is better to go with seperate saw the elmscan but not sure if this will work with all of my mx-3's or better to go seperate scanners.

sort of would prefere if i could use my computer so elmscan would be nice so anyfeed back would be great and i have search canadian tire and scanners .. but have gotten elmscan tool is nice .. but not sure if will work across the board thanks .. and any suggestions on scan tools would be great ...

:confused2:
What is a BILLION.....???

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend:
A billion seconds ago it was 1959, and I was a teenager!
A billion minutes ago B.C. became A.D.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were apes.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
Evo_Spec

Re: canadian tire code readers or elmscan ??

Post by Evo_Spec »

you can also just jump TEN and GND in the diagnostic box under the hood behind the battery
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I picked one up last year, and it works great!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... Reader.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only odd thing it that it woudn't detect a connection on Kp2t's dad's Camaro...weird.

This is an OBDII code reader, so it will only work with OBDII Mx-3's. Your 95/96 will probably be, but if it's a '96, it was mandated by the gov't that all cars 1996 and later must be OBDII, 95's are likely to be, but not 100%.

Your 93's are not OBDII, so no code reader will work on it. There are OBDI readers, but they aren't typically Mazda compatible, and I know of none that exists. The only option is the good ol' paperclip in the diagnostics box.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
frontpage

Post by frontpage »

hi thanks for the replies yup new about the paper clip way read up on that here just lazy on counting the flashes .. lol but thats cool can do it .. the 1.8 manual will go 2.5 but not this summer just started new job and means alot of travel sigh .. ok .. if anyone knows of good reader for the pre obd2 models let me know even if computer based as thats fine with me .. thanks :welder:

projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

what do you mean your too lazy? you could have counted your flashes in less time then it took you to make this thread.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
frontpage

Post by frontpage »

that's ok solved the engine light issue .. one bad wire and it was flippen new sigh .. oh well run'n great now .. but still the issue . anyone know of any good obd 1 readers for the earlier models and question how hard to change over a obd 1 to obd 2 guessing sensors, ecu, donor car basicly???

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

All the wiring and sensors. But you're going to do that conversion just you can use a code reader? Not worth it. Most want to go the other way around.

Ideally, go megasquirt. Probably cheaper, use a laptop or any PC, and get the ability to tune rather than just pull codes. OBDII in an Mx-3 is just a fancy paperclip ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”