Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Chris_W_2k5

Re: Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

Post by Chris_W_2k5 »

fowljesse, the secrets i know for left handers (or atleast the guy i crew for) is set the wedge (cross weight) to around 31%. Normally NASCARs set theirs above 50% so FWD cars have a backwards cross weight. Simply put, the weight is best on the left front and right rear. Load those tires up with weight. Our fastest guys lift the inside rear tires every corner. My plan is to put the front swaybar on the right side below the lower control arm and the left side below on the rear, then using ready rod and heim joints in place of OEM sway bar links, you'll get a lot of adjustment in terms of....well almost weight jacks via sway bar.

Spherical metal joints....Heim joints?

I have a question about the cams too (sorry to hijack CircleTrack). I went to get a set of cams out of a miata (there wasnt any at the JY) so I went to get it out of a 323 but stopped. What exactly is the difference between the cams? Does the miatas have more lift and duration, and how do I know it wont send my valves through my pistons?
CircleTrack96
antispam: No

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Hey guys, just wanted to report on last night's races. We finally got the car running / handling well, and I was making things happen on the track. The more the track cooled, the better the car was. First heat i got a 5th since i was still getting used to the adjustments. Second heat I was settling in, and the track was cooler, and I pulled a fourth (could have been a third, but I would have had to spin a girl and a mustang, and I have to be cleaner then the rest to overcome my family reputation...lol). In the feature, I was happy and doing well, right up until the big one happened...lol. I was on the high line (my car likes the middle, I race where I can...lol.) and one of the cars near the front got loose and went sideways. The car I was following (right on his bumper, pushing) nailed the first car / the wall. The car next to me didn't give me any room and I had no where to go. I scrubbed off as much speed as possible and plowed into the other cars, then got hit myself. I guess I was the third car in a five car pile up. Sucked. I'll get some pictures / possibly video soon. We are going to try to have it fixed for next week. Damage to the rear is minimal. The Front is another story. The nose tucked under the other car's bumper (VW Fox) and it folded my hood, destroyed my rad, and my rad support. Oddly enough, the bumper and fenders are fine (or as fine as they were...lol).
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn left, Zoom-Zoom, Turn left.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Ok, so my protege rad won't fit in the car, are there any other rads that will fit in the Mx-3? Please reply asap because I need to source something quickly.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sorry to read about the wreck!
I'll be watching you.... internetally, anyway.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

***Update***

We've removed the twisted metal, sourced a rad + support wall replacement materials. It'll take some work, but we'll be ready for Saturday. However, it won't be pretty again :(
Chris_W_2k5

Post by Chris_W_2k5 »

CircleTrack96 wrote:***Update***

We've removed the twisted metal, sourced a rad + support wall replacement materials. It'll take some work, but we'll be ready for Saturday. However, it won't be pretty again :(

Sorry to hear about the wreck. And its a race car, they only get faster after wrecking.

Me and my buddy are in the process of rebuilding his car after he lost steering during a pile up and hit the wall. I got progress pictures at http://wilsonms.uuuq.com/Gallery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under the Sponge Car Rebuild Pt 1 and 2 headings. Part three will probably be up soon as we'll be putting the engine and basic front components back together soon.

again, sorry to hear about the wreck...and for another hijack :freak:

edit:Website is back up and working
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

You're right, wrecks do make em faster! lol. I had my first career win (x2, heat races mind you) last night. The feature didn't go well because the car was loose and I was fighting it all night. I'll be going out to practice on Thursday to try to adress that.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I never knew blocking the EGR will increase performance and fuel economy. Can someone explain this? I thought it's for better emissions and the recirculated exhaust gas lowers peak combustion temperatures, which I would imagine is a good thing.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Recirculating gases does reduce emissions, but how can you think it will help performance? You're adding HOT gasses w/ little oxygen, lots of junk and SOME unburnt fuel back into the combustion chamber...all of those things hurt performance!
_-Night-Shade-_

onlytrueromeo wrote:Recirculating gases does reduce emissions, but how can you think it will help performance? You're adding HOT gasses w/ little oxygen, lots of junk and SOME unburnt fuel back into the combustion chamber...all of those things hurt performance!
What about fuel economy?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

EGR hurts fuel economy.
_-Night-Shade-_

Recycling unburnt fuel will result in lower economy?
Chris_W_2k5

Post by Chris_W_2k5 »

would blocking the EGR on a street car hurt the engine at all?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

No, it won't hurt the car. Take off the EGR and put a plate in its place, or put the EGR solenoid back over it to keep the stock look. I have found gains w/ removing the EGR, also it keeps your manifold cleaner.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Please do a search about EGR blocking! If there isn't suffucient info, start a new thread.
Congratulations, CircleTrack96!! Keep it up!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”