95 RS DOHC TO A B6 W/ TURBO SWAP. HELP!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ReMXed-95

95 RS DOHC TO A B6 W/ TURBO SWAP. HELP!!!

Post by ReMXed-95 »

I know I can cruise through all the forums and posts to find information, but that is really time consuming, and Im finding lots of mis-information and seconed guessing. I want to turbo my 1995 MX3 RS with a 1.6L DOHC 4cylinder B6 engine that has a 5speed. Id like to turbo the B6 if possible, and if I can... Id like to turbo the BP if I can find one to swap. So im asking everyone whats the best bet here. Turbo the B6? Or scrounge around and turbo the BP if I find one?

Some more questions.
How should I go about turboing the B6? This is my daily driver and only car, I dont want to pop the engine. Im only looking for a 7psi of boost maximum. How should I beef up the internals on the B6, where can I find some strong internal parts from other cars if need be.

How should I go about turboing the BP?
Ive already got a line on a full turbo setup including piping intercooler and other parts, the guy had it on his B6. I just want to know what people think of that. Im in a rush about it, since Im picking up the turbo next month. I will be writing up a step by step how to guide about this swap and install once Ive got everything so we dont have to have anymore questions like this. Thanks
KYB-GR2 struts, BG 2" lowering springs, Pearl red paint, Tint, Carbon tails, Short ram intake, Engine swap, Short throw shifter, Custom interior, 2 12" subs, Custom sound, Mazdaspeed ignition, K2 smoked mirrors, Front/ rear Corksport strut bars, Shaved rear wiper, Motegi MR7 17" gunmetal rims with ZR rated low profiles, RS 14" Honeycomb rims, Upgraded brakes and lines and alot more http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3085354
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 95 RS DOHC TO A B6 W/ TURBO SWAP. HELP!!!

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

fist off.. I have to tell you about the search.. ok.. now that that is out of the way.

7psi you do not need to upgrade the internals on the B6. There are many ways to turbo the B6, you can use the 323 turbo mani, found at http://www.corksport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Or you can go custom like I am. This will not be cheap or easy. Good electronics and self control will be the only things saving your engine. If you wish to look into this, see my worklog. If you want more detail on the BP swap and turbo, see Mi|<e's work log. <---- not easy or cheap either. Mike has the best worklog out there, so please take your time and read everything.
Many turbo parts can be found in the for sale section... have a look.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Best bet would be to source a BPT and upgrade the turbo from there. I'm sure people out there have turboed the B6 SOHC, but why would you want to??? If you can't find the BPT, then turbocharging a N/A BP would still be better than the B6...still, parts such as turbo manifolds, intercoolers, piping, etc can still be sourced via different online stores. Just search around.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

muttpower wrote:Best bet would be to source a BPT and upgrade the turbo from there. I'm sure people out there have turboed the B6 SOHC, but why would you want to??? If you can't find the BPT, then turbocharging a N/A BP would still be better than the B6...still, parts such as turbo manifolds, intercoolers, piping, etc can still be sourced via different online stores. Just search around.
A BPT is a waste of $. The B6 with 7psi is just fine. Also.. the 95 is NOT SOHC.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Turbo BP > BPT > Turbo B6

Honestly, how many miles are on your car? If the cars engine is in great shape you could go about turboing the b6 if you really wanted to. Personally, I think getting a BP engine and fixing her up (new rings, headgasket, headbolts, tbelt, waterpump, etc) then turboing that is your best bet. You can also look around for a BP w/ low miles on it if you don't want to do a mild rebuild. It always comes down to money. Turbo b6 will be your cheapest option, but rebuilding a BP and turboing that will be the best (IMO).
ReMXed-95

Post by ReMXed-95 »

Okay, thanks guys. I looked around and searched the forums here and a few other places. Alot of them contridicted each other, or basically were very poorly written ''How to guides". I just want to do it right, and see what other peoples ideas and suggestions would be on the turbo project.
And my 95 MX3 has a DOHC 4cylinder since someone said something bout that above.

Originally was going to go with the BP or BPT swap and turbo. Was just curious about the B6 turbo, Ive seen and heard of a few people who have done it. Anyway, my car was hit and MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) wants to write my car off, apparently shes not worth much. So im not sure what im going to do now. Most likely will get my money from them and then buy the car back and part her out. So just a heads up for people looking for stuff.

And the engine has roughly 150,000 - 180,000kms. Body is just about to roll over to 340,000kms and she still runs like new and hasnt given me a single hassle in the year or so Ive owned her.
KYB-GR2 struts, BG 2" lowering springs, Pearl red paint, Tint, Carbon tails, Short ram intake, Engine swap, Short throw shifter, Custom interior, 2 12" subs, Custom sound, Mazdaspeed ignition, K2 smoked mirrors, Front/ rear Corksport strut bars, Shaved rear wiper, Motegi MR7 17" gunmetal rims with ZR rated low profiles, RS 14" Honeycomb rims, Upgraded brakes and lines and alot more http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3085354
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I would just like to add my 2 cents here, once your engine is in good shape, you can see just as good results from a Turbo B6 DOHC as you would from a BPT, obviously this assumes that you have a decent turbo setup with proper fuel and ignition control. I have been running my setup for a couple years now and am very happy with the results.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You have to first find out what you want out of your car. Then read like a mofo. This is harder than a noob would ever think... But also fairly straight forward at the same time. All turbo set ups are very similar. I'm starting to feel like you need to understand the basics of turbo charging. After that, it's just a matter of bolt on or custom.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I agree with RS_OBD'oh_2 here fully, you need to decide what you want from the car, do you want 150whp, 200whp, 300whp? Also what is your budget for modifications? Are you able to pay for all the work to be done by a competent mechanic or can you do most of the stuff yourself? There are a number of factors involved and you need to decide before even starting on this journey.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
ReMXed-95

Post by ReMXed-95 »

I understand the basics of a turbo, and how to turbo these cars. I was just curious of the best way to go. I know theres B6 and obviously the BP out there thats boosted. And im only looking for say... 200hp. Just enough to feel it, my cars pretty fast as it is with its lightly modded drivetrain right now. Gotten her to 240km/hr no prob, needle buried. GPS in the car registered 250km/hr. Just looking to boost the car, so shes quicker off the line.

I looked around, and all the info I can find is half assed, or im just not looking in the right place. So I figured Id come and straight up ask on here. But anyway, I will be posting a detailed 'How To' and post it on here. So future people wont be asking again.

Anyone with a turbo B6 can you please message me and let me know what you did. Use the stock head? Etc..
Thanks.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ReMXed-95 wrote: I looked around, and all the info I can find is half assed, or im just not looking in the right place. So I figured Id come and straight up ask on here. But anyway, I will be posting a detailed 'How To' and post it on here. So future people wont be asking again.
Don't worry, people will be asking the same thing every couple of months. So.. I've read through the posts and your answer is there. I'm not sure what else you want? I'm not about to do it for you or hold your hand through the process. Do you have examples "half assed" information? There are many great worklogs out there with F'n parts lists and everything. I'm starting to get pissed off. If you can't work the forum maybe you should not be thinking about a turbo project.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
ReMXed-95 wrote: I looked around, and all the info I can find is half assed, or im just not looking in the right place. So I figured Id come and straight up ask on here. But anyway, I will be posting a detailed 'How To' and post it on here. So future people wont be asking again.
Don't worry, people will be asking the same thing every couple of months. So.. I've read through the posts and your answer is there. I'm not sure what else you want? I'm not about to do it for you or hold your hand through the process. Do you have examples "half assed" information? There are many great worklogs out there with F'n parts lists and everything. I'm starting to get pissed off. If you can't work the forum maybe you should not be thinking about a turbo project.
^^+1 There's not much as far as tech info that I haven't seen in a million FAQ's, Posts, as well as other worklogs and what not on this site.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Use the basic b6t setup.
the manifold,turbo,downpipe, injectors etc etc.
I would also hybrid the stock vj-14 with the thunderbird compressor housing. I loved that turbo when i had it on my b6, would spin through 2 and bark 3rd.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”