Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CircleTrack96
antispam: No

Re: Mx-3 for racing on 1/3 mile oval

Post by CircleTrack96 »

scratch that, clutch assembly is rustier than the titanic... will a 1.6l miata clutch package work? What is everyone else running?
Turn left, Zoom-Zoom, Turn left.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

On the 4 cyls? I think just B series ones work, so Miata should work unless the spline count is different on the Miata RWD tranny... If not, the 323 turbo models should work :)

You're not putting down massive power so you don't really need a fancy clutch. I'd just get a protege-ish one.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Will the protege / protege gt one fit? If so, which year am I looking for? My car is a 94 1.6l.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Can you guys give me a list of cars that have clutches that are interchangeable with mine? My research says that the mx-3 is 20 spline, but almost all the other clutches I've researched are 22 spline.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

hey, when my clutch went i used a stock oe mazda replacement one and have 20000ish kms problem free with a lot of dumps etc. a stock clutch is all you should need unless your going forced induction which you obviously can't. if you want to use a different clutch i think your mismatching pressure plates etc. if you have money get a lightweight flywheel while your in there, if moneys tight get it shaved. any weight removal here will make a difference in your acceleration.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Chris_W_2k5

Post by Chris_W_2k5 »

I have a 95 RS that I'm driving around right now. It's a great car but its going to be a circle track racer at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway in Saskatoon, Sk Canada. So this thread is very well informative to what I want to do to get a bit of an edge on my car, as I will be going up against Neons, Tiburons, Integras and Civics. Im a crew chief for last years champ who's running a 92 Civic and holds the current track record. Luckily I know his little secrets on how to get the front wheel drive cars to turn better :D.

ANYWAY what are you doing for suspension alignment in terms of camber, caster and wedge?
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Clutch is changed (for a custom clutch, made by a local shop) and we should be racing on Saturday. Last Saturday was rained out, hence, no results.

As for the car's current set up, we're really limited by the classes requirements. The setup I like so far is:

LF 1.5 degrees positive camber, 30 psi tire pressure.
RF 2.5 degrees nevative camber 40 psi.

Front wheels toed out 1/8 of an inch. (So it'll straighten out under hard acceleration, and provide stability when it dives under breaking)

LR 1 degree positive camber, 35 psi.
RR 1.5 degrees negative.

Rear wheels have neutral toe. The reason for this is Mazda's twin trapazoid link (TTL). The TTL will toe the rear wheels out under hard cornering to give you something that resembles 4 wheel steering in the turns. If you go a little wide coming into the turn, it'll carve it nicely.

Wedge = 55% LS (again, rules limitation)

We aren't allowed to change / modify springs so we have to adjust spring rates with tire pressure, hence the different pressures. It plants the left front wheel coming off the corners.
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W_2k5

Post by Chris_W_2k5 »

I can't beleive no one's said this yet...

Seems like a good setup. I'll have to make sure to rub the TTL's rear stear in my drivers face (im a crew chief of a guy that drives a civic for a mini stock). He's so proud of his Civics suspension gaining camber under cornering....I think I'd rather get rear steer then camber.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

In all fairness, the civic does have double wishbone suspension, which means it will corner better than the Mx-3. The guy who wins every week drives a civic. I'm hoping that by the end of the summer I might have something for him. I'll work on getting pics up tonight.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Pictures (Will update soon): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3342753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you make your TTL passive rear steering more active by replacing your bushings with spherical metal joints (If legal) you could effectively cut your turn radius noticeably.
CircleTrack96, and Chris_W_2k5, I would love to be let in on some secrets. My car is set up for autocross, and I'm done with suspension upgrades, but would love to hear of some of your tricks. I'm very good at keeping secrets, if needed, and am very far away from you, and your competition :)

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

This comunity is all about sharing secrets, what do you want to know? My setup is above ^^^
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hey CircleTrack, didn't know you were in Ontario. Check out the Toronto Mx-3 section!:
viewforum.php?f=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I may try to come out since I have some work in Peterborough next week, I'll see about scheduling it to finish on Friday and stay up Friday night for Saturday, and maybe bring some other Mx-3'ers along for the ride. But I would love for you to post your racing schedule in the Toronto Mx-3 section!

A few things you could try is swap to a GS steering rack for tighter and quicker turning, and even use the GS springs/suspension, which would be stock, look stock but is stiffer.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

We Race every Saturday, starting at 5pm weather permitting.
CircleTrack96

Post by CircleTrack96 »

Mother nature seems out to get us though :(
Last edited by CircleTrack96 on June 15th, 2009, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”