Ford Duratec 3.0 in a MX3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Ford Duratec 3.0 in a MX3

Post by fowljesse »

Measure where the motor mounts are, to start with, and see if there's even room to fab brackets, if needed.
You could poineer something...
I'd be interested in the weight difference, reliability, axle fitment...
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

ha this would be kind of a neat swap. i had a similar idea with a 2.3 DISI MZR engine from mazda. They're similar with the duratecs. its one of those ideas thats...when i get rich i'll have to try it. haha way too much money...well at least MORE than i have lol
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

what about a 4g63 2.0? (for 4cyl guys)
i could turbo it cheap, and there a few in the junkyard by me.

then i could call it my....mazdabishi! :freak:
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Aren't those the unreliable motors? I forget, all mistsu's I've known were terrible, so I wouldn't want to put that stuff in our car :( Look at our distys!
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

All of you have to get to know the FE3! It's the best mazda engine out there! Do some research about how strong they are! I have seen 400+ WHP on stock internals :)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I know I mentioned the FE3 was one of the only exceptions to the rule! It's what brought rafi into the 10 second club! The FE3 makes me want to change my dream of an AWD KLZE MX3 to one w/ a FE3N!
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Aren't those the unreliable motors? I forget, all mistsu's I've known were terrible, so I wouldn't want to put that stuff in our car :( Look at our distys!
yeah ive heard stories...

but i wouldnt go through the trouble of swaping it in wiyhout having it
looked over and/or rebuilt.

eh just a thought... :shrug:
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Yeah if you rebuild it yourself and youre running engine management, I guess it'd be fine! But still w/ all that money, would it still be cheaper to do a built ZE for 400hp or an FE3 both w/ gearboxes that could handle it?
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

For the FE3 you can use the mx-6/probe/626 2.2L turbo tranny. Also at cluprotege.com they have a group buy for an LSD for the H series tranny :D
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Yeah if you rebuild it yourself and youre running engine management, I guess it'd be fine! But still w/ all that money, would it still be cheaper to do a built ZE for 400hp or an FE3 both w/ gearboxes that could handle it?
thats true. but i basically have the parts car behind my house.
also have the 4cyl 2000 cougar. (dont wanna attempt that tho)
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

I looked at the duratec motor for the option of increased displacment for racing.
Unfortunatly they are thin on the ground here in NZ when 13b's and Mitsubishi
motors are a dime a dozen.

I have seen here swapped into "BG" chassis ( which the MX3 is based on really )
mazda 13B PP ( ran 12.5 in a 323 sedan body )

Also swaping in the complete mitsubishi 4g63 and gearbox from a evo VI
( one way of fixing the glass gearbox issue we have )

Both are resonable in costs to do, way be its the tipical kiwi way of we give anything a
go like those crazy puerto Rico's

The KLZE will give good power ( either a hardcore atmo engine or a low psi turbo )
Mike Wakeham

Post by Mike Wakeham »

The duratec motor might work with a little bit of modification.

I was under the understanding that Ford started using these V6's, labled the AJ-V6 (AJ-30 in this case 3.0 litre duratec) when they took over Jaguar in the late eighties and then relabled them as the duratec. Same thing with the mazda 4 pots, when Ford ditched the zetecs they moved over to the mazda 4 bangers and relabled them duratec and then started modifying them.

The AJ V6 came about when Jaguar was owned by BMW. BMW had Porsche design the block for them. Coinsidently Porsche also designed the block for the K series V6 around the same time. Both blocks look similar because they are similar. The main difference is the K series has belt driven cams and the AJ-V6 is chain driven. Appart from those differences the blocks are pretty much the same. Both 60 degree V's and both have split blocks. I'm not too sure as I have never taken an AJ out of a car but from the looks of it the mounts are all in the same place too.
I'm not sure if Ford use it in their cars, but they also use VRIS on these engines in the Jags. Similar set up to our K series and they use similar aluminium intakes compared the the plastic ones on the Fords. Also in the Mazda and Jaguar cars these V6's had variable valve timing where as in Fords they didn't The heads for the AJ-V6 are totaly different though to the K series

Would probably need alot of wiring work to get it to run but for mounting you should be ok in an MX-3. Also the lower spec duratec or AJ's use MTX75 trannies so they are a bit stonger than our G series, which is good!

While you're at it you could always use the MTX75 4x4 tranny and a back axle from a Jag. 4 wheel drive MX-3 :twisted:
My Toys:
Stock (for the moment) 1996 K8 MX-3 with CAI
1998 Suzuki GN 125cc (my learner bike!)
Soon Honda VFR 400 NC30(when I'm not a learner anymore!)
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

any engine is possible if you have the time and money! but that idea doesnt sound to logical and very easy.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”