opinions/advise please

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jamesmx3

opinions/advise please

Post by jamesmx3 »

so i've been doing a bit of reading, as i have a small dent in my hood. I am going to repair it, but need some advice on body filler/bondo. I have rear 2 different ways of doing it

1. put the bondo straight onto bare metal, so it adheres properly.

2. use etch primer on to the bare metal before bondo so the bondo adheres properly, as it will 'slip off bare metal'.

when i've done it in the past I've just sanded and put it onto paint of bare metal, where ever it was needed. I want to do this properly though as I want the car to look good.

thanks
James
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94drumx3

Re: opinions/advise please

Post by 94drumx3 »

I've used bondo on bare metal and it has never slipped off yet. i've never tried it on primer tho so i wouldn't know for sure.
I dont suppose the dent is small enough to use dry ice on? i guess you'd need to be able to find some tho.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

Not sure on the dry ice, but I don't know where I'd get it from.

I have some other little dings on the doors too, which I was going to fill, and some rust repairs to do too, so still need the bondo advice!

I have used it both ways (on bare and painted surfaces) in the past, but not too sure on the 'correct' method of aplication.
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/print ... id/186221/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apparently this is something everyone has their own opinion on. both ways make sense.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

thanks, just read through that tread, they both make sense, should i try both ways?? or stick to one, im thinking the etch primer route might be better to 'seal' the metal?? although from what I've heard primer is not waterproof.

What have I started!!! :shock:

94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

yeah i'd prolly go with primer first....i think thats what i'll do the next time. it'll be a first for me tho. i dont think you'd have a problem sticking to one, or doing both.
any ideas anyone else?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, isn't the point of bondo to be a metal filler?
Bondo was developed as a replacement for body solder, or molten lead, that was formerly used for the same task. Body solder is much more durable, but may require more effort to apply. Lead-based solder poses toxic hazards for people and the environment due to the heavy metal components. Despite the fact that Bondo is far safer to work with than its lead-based counterparts, it still poses significant health risks. The fumes are quite toxic, and the hardeners can create burns in cases of prolonged skin contact. The use of gloves, a mask, and proper ventilation are all recommended when mixing and applying the filler.

[...]

Bondo has widespread usage in Computer Case Modding, as when properly used, can be sanded smooth and painted, and it will attach and hold, without damage, to metal, plastic, acrylic and perspex surface.
Apply bondo to clean, rough metal only.
Bondo body filler was made to work on metal. It fills in the imperfections on the body.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Appearance”