anyone ever tried perfromance chips on a mx3?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
asimpson719
antispam: No

anyone ever tried perfromance chips on a mx3?

Post by asimpson719 »

im looking for something thats cheap and easy to do that will give a little more umph to my car

ive already got cold air intake and straight back catless exhaust.

i dont wanna do anything major because soon as i fix a few things on the body get it painted and do a little work on the interior ill be pulling the enigne to rebuild it.

im just looking for some feedback on these so called performance chips.

most claim that you can gain up to 50 hp and 3-6 mpg

even if the chip was adding 10-15hp i would be happy with it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: anyone ever tried perfromance chips on a mx3?

Post by Daninski »

Most of these so called chips are just a waste O money. Spend some time here, read throught the posts, do your home work then decide. Do you have a 4 or 6 cly? What kind of gains are you looking for? WHAT YOURS BUDGET? lol We always need to work within our means and not spend more than we can afford. Well unless your name is Nitefire. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Exactly. These performance chips are just resistors in a box that trick the ECU to dump more fuel, which decreases performance and fuel economy. Just an eBay scam, nothing more. Mx-3's are too old in terms of ECU and engine technology that will allow for any major gains just from a reprogramming, unlike most cars now that are actually restricted by programming from the manufacturer since the engine designs are more efficient and complex.

Mind you, there are alot of benefits to having simpler car where you don't have to fight against the electronics sytem for upgrades and modifications.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
asimpson719

Post by asimpson719 »

i have no budget i have a phone bill and inssurance and the rest of my money is going to my car = )

i was just looking for some simple gains that arent to crazy because im going to be rebuilding the enigne and custom building a turbo in a few months.

so for now im just looking for that little more get up and go.

oh and i got a 1.8 6cyl dohc k8 1A1 i beleive

heres the site i was looking at.
http://slrmotorsports.amazonwebstore.co ... LOOM80.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
only reason i wanted to try it is because its the 100% money back garuntee
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

asimpson719 wrote: oh and i got a 1.8 6cyl dohc k8 1A1 i beleive

heres the site i was looking at.
http://slrmotorsports.amazonwebstore.co ... LOOM80.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
only reason i wanted to try it is because its the 100% money back garuntee
You can, but it's just a waste of time really...but yep, resistor in a box

On a K8, basic bolt once will gain you a few hp, but for a real gain, the only rear options are engine swaps, or the least popular turbo option.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
asimpson719

Post by asimpson719 »

where do i even begin to look for a klze

how much hp can you get out of these engines
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

asimpson719 wrote:where do i even begin to look for a klze

how much hp can you get out of these engines
search?

but besides that as much money as your willing to put into it. you want to build a 500 hp car, sleeve the block and all the other good stuff, better rods, pistons, etc and a great tune (not that simple but just do a bit of searching)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

We can't recommend where to buy one because we don't know where you live.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

A ZE is always the most cost effective HP upgrade per dollar. Period, end of story. One can be had between $650-1000 usually, and if there is not an engine import store near you (there usually is one within 100 miles) you can always order it online (which isn't really the best option). A stock KLZE puts out 200hp, and with some minor work/engine management you can get upwards of 190WHP out of it, N/A.

The 1.8 turbo option is OK, but if you were to turbo the 2.5ZE you will have much more potential...also you may find that you are happy w/ the ZE.

For a low cost alternative, the 2.5L KLDE from probes/mx6's can be had at junk yards, esp. if you are going to do a rebuild anyway...although the ZE heads flow better, the DE can be had for $200-400, and will support a turbo. The DE is also 170hp so it is still a nice upgrade from the K8.

Also, search. Read the FAQ's. Read V6 technical performance. Then go on to read tranny stuff. Because when you start to put down more HP, you will realize that a LSD is probably going to want to be someone in your car's future.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Turbo on the 1.8 is dumb. You'd still have the major flaw which is no power down low. The ZE makes power down low come so much easier and it has more power up high.

Considering a 2.5L swap is almost a direct swap.... it's probably easier than rooting around with turbo.

And the DE is underrated. The only advantage the ZE has is more power up high. Down low they are almost identical for power and work nicely in a MX3.

I would suggest the DE swap for ultimate bang for buck.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

ZE has more power up high and the power band is longer than the DE...a DE's power spikes while a ZE's holds out longer. Also 30 more hp isnt bad for less than $500 more. Plus ZE's have 40k miles or less, and most DEs's have 100k miles.

I wouldn't ever choose a DE over a ZE unless I was rebuilding, or I could get the DE for less than 200.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”