anyone have LED front turn signals

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
ninjajim4

anyone have LED front turn signals

Post by ninjajim4 »

i wanted to switch out my turn signals to match the pretty white LEDs on my new headlights. has anyone ever tried the 1157 LEDs off ebay? i worry because 1) the originals are dual filament bulbs, due to being both running lights and turn signals, so the LEDs would need dual circuitry as well. I also wonder if the load would be too low and make the car think the bulb was burnt out. i have LEDs in my third brake light, which work no problem... but i didn't want to spend the 15 bucks for something that i can't use. anyone?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: anyone have LED front turn signals

Post by Mooneggs »

I've been using these same bulbs for over 5 years now in my front turn signals and they still haven't burnt out... in order to make them fit you have to do a little bit of cutting inside the housing metal reflector and where they screw in... other than that they are bright beautiful electronic looking (I love when they blink).

They are either the light tower 1 or light tower 2 although it looks like they have some newer versions... just measure your housing to see what will fit.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

so mark, yours stay lit when your headlights are on, and then blink when you put on your signal? no fast blink problems? this is what i had in mind..

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-1157-BAY15D-WHIT ... 1|294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

ninjajim4 wrote:so mark, yours stay lit when your headlights are on, and then blink when you put on your signal? no fast blink problems? this is what i had in mind..
yes they stay on they work like any other 1157 bulb

as far as the fast blink problem - good question - I forgot about that part. To keep them from blinking fast use the link below for the rear turn signal... it is alot higher powered so it pulls the extra load from the front (which you don't need anyways since LEDs don't take hardly any power)... scroll to the bottom - its called "the beacon" if used in combination with the other light towers you will have sweet LEDs (that blink normal) in the front and extremely bright turn signals in the rear...

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck fitting those from ebay into any of your housings... our sockets are EXTREMELY small... :shrug:

like I said I've been using the setup I've described for years and been quite happy with "white" lights as opposed to natural white (yellow) it's turned out to be a good investment and perfectly legal
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've got a mix of Canadian Tire LED bulbs... Eurolite, and various ebay LEDs. The only exterior bulbs I'm rockin these days that aren't LED are my HID lows and some Silverstar Highs.

1156:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1157:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0316720200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

H3 Fogs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-H3- ... 240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The H3s light output is absolutely terrible, of course even with my old headlights and halogen H3s I could barely notice a difference with my fogs on vs. off. So the change was just for the colour match.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29622478@N ... 196515363/
Last edited by Jutzi420 on May 1st, 2009, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Mooneggs wrote:
good luck fitting those from ebay into any of your housings... our sockets are EXTREMELY small... :shrug:
jeez man you're scaring the crap outta me now... from the pics i thought they looked pretty similar in proportion to the stock bulbs. at least they look like the same as Jutzi's, and it sounds like he's doing ok with them *whew*

i'll be trying em out first without the extra load. i guess we'll see.. thanks for the info guys. will report back when they get in from hong kong
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I don't remember which ones were a little tight, but either the 1156's or 1557's were kinda tight fitting the bulbs through the hole in the taillight housing, I just had to wiggle them a bit. The ones I used in the front were eurolites, and only project forward, not to the sides. They fit fine, but would be useless in the rear.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Just FYI, the 36 led 1157 bulbs are a perfect fit. they are more or less the same dimensions as a standard bulb.

also, i did have the fast blink problem, but i experimented with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-PIN-EL ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got it to work perfectly!! this is an 8 pin instead of a 7 pin like our stock flashers, so it is not plug and play, but i can do a write up with the pin outs if anyone is interested. basically, eliminates the need for load resistors, which is just plain wasteful and inefficient.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I love the fast blink.......
Got mine from china tire, in for 2 years, never had a problem except having to cut the little steel thingies out of the signal housings..
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

I started a project a while back when I still had my car. I never finished it because I sold the car. I still have all the parts the finish the project.
Here's what I did....

First I took out the circuit board from an LED module.

Then I took the lense off of a stock housing and mounted the circuit board in.

I tried different ideas for the front lense, but none looked good. If I had finished the project I would have used the clear lenses from my clear turn signals over top of the new LED turn signals I made.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

you should finish them, then sell them to me!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

93vtecklr wrote:you should finish them, then sell them to me!
I wish that was enough motivation. The LED turn signals alone are $30 each plus tax. Add in the time, its almost not worth it.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

There are these ones on ebay http://cgi.ebay.ca/16-LED-Motorbike-Mot ... 1|294%3A50

You can probably adapt the LEDs on those to work, and they're really cheap too.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”