Removing gearbox

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SstennizZ

Removing gearbox

Post by SstennizZ »

Can anybody give me an estimated time needed to remove everything necessary for the removal of the gearbox. So that is right up to the bolts of the box itself against the engine..
I need a new clutch, but every garage here estimates like 1,5 days work. If i can remove everything and let them remove the box itself and the driveshafts, maybe i can shorten that time..

Ow and mine has airco, do i need to disconnect that too?
hgallegos915

Re: Removing gearbox

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its the same as any other car, you just need to make sure you know what you are doing, remember that the fluwheel needs to be removed and resurfaced, you need to inspct the shaft seals and possibly change the main seal. Minimum it would take me is around 10 hrs to do it, some people do it faster, it all depends on you. I would say ;et the shops handle it and get a rental car for a few days, or a back up car.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

hgallegos915 wrote:Its the same as any other car, you just need to make sure you know what you are doing, remember that the fluwheel needs to be removed and resurfaced, you need to inspct the shaft seals and possibly change the main seal. Minimum it would take me is around 10 hrs to do it, some people do it faster, it all depends on you. I would say ;et the shops handle it and get a rental car for a few days, or a back up car.
Its not the time i'll be missing the car i'm worried about. Its the fact that 10 hours of labour costs me about $650.. Let alone buying the new clutch.. And i meant taking everything BUT the gearbox itself. I'll leave that and the removal of the shafts to the shop.
I meant taking out the battery, air intake and so on..
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Changing a clutch is one of the most straight forward jobs possible. I am assuming you have very little experience working on cars because of the question you asked. With the right tools and alot of patience changing a clutch is not a complicated job. The hard part is accessing the clutch. Once you have the tranny out, its as simple as unbolting the clutch assembly, sliding the alignment tool into the pilot bearing on the flywheel and bolting the next clutch assembly back to the flywheel. If you have a decent set of tools and a free weekend I suggest trying to do the job yourself. The only scary part is the you will need to support the motor because you will have to remove 3 of the 4 motor mounts to remove the tranny. If this is something you would consider. I suggest going on to probetalk.com because there is a "how to" change your clutch thread. If i remember correctly it has everything listed step by step with pictures.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

1.5 days is BS.

I just pulled the entire motor, changed the tranny over to another motor, and re-mounted the whole deal in ~5 hours. With a Mazda tech...

Dropping just the tranny is much simpler, never 1.5 days. Morons.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Many Garages/Dealers go by THE BOOK when doing mechanical work. To give you an example, to do the timing belt in my car THE BOOK says 6 hrs labour, in reality my mazda mechanic does it in 2.5 hours. The garage will still charge you the 6 hours labour.

It does seem sinful when your paying $75 an hour and the mechanic isnt even working on your car :(
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Story - once our senior tech was given the job of replacing the signal arm. job says 2 hours. took him literally 2 minutes.

I bet someone paid a good 150 for that.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Ryan wrote:1.5 days is BS.

I just pulled the entire motor, changed the tranny over to another motor, and re-mounted the whole deal in ~5 hours. With a Mazda tech...

Dropping just the tranny is much simpler, never 1.5 days. Morons.
me and my buddy dropped in 440 in one of his Chargers in less than half a day :freak:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

440 in a Charger, man you must be almost as old as me. :lol:

Answer is, any of the parts you need to take off to do the clutch makes the car undrivable so you can't pull anything of any significance without having to trailer the car to the garage. Jack the car, pull the axes, disconnect the shifter linkage (rust makes this a pain). Disconnect clutch line. Start unbolting stuff from the tranny. Unbolt then remove tranny. Swap clutch and do reverse of what you just did for install. Enjoy the Pride of doing it yourself and saving hundreds of dollars. Apply oinment and bandages to all your skinned knuckels. :D
Last edited by Daninski on April 19th, 2009, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:440 in a Charger, man you must be almost as old as me. :lol:
Nope, just have passion for cool cars.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Can't argue with that. Used a Mallory dual point double life disty with a 40,000 volt coil on my 69 B+B 340 Swinger. 4 56 gears, Borg and Beck racing clutch. Worked nice. Could hold the back end sideways through all four gears. Did a burn out outside the theater after watching American Graffiti. Opps sorry, hijacked post, my appologies.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

440 charger probably has more room than a gs under the hood. Another big BOOK scam is the rear struts, it s a joke, you dont even need a spring compressor. The only trick is carefully bending the brake line a bit.
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”