importer has confused me about my ECU.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Re: importer has confused me about my ECU.

Post by solo_ryder »

Just got my ZE chipped ecu in, fan is still coming on.. sigh. Gonna have to try rx8's method soon

So far it feels as useless as the k801 ecu haha. Everytime I chip a ecu I am never surprised with anything... no gains in power, bleehhhhh.

Oh well, no CEL and better mileage is a plus
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, I can't really say I felt much difference switching from stock K8-34 to chipped, maybe running a little leaner with better gas mileage. Possibly correct VRIS points make some difference in power, but it's hard to tell without a dyno.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea.. well I chipped it mostly for fuel mileage reasons I guess. I don't notice VRIS stuff at all. Not sure why people talk about it so much. I just put my 17s on too though so that probably doesn't help acceleration
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll be swaping a 96 K8 over to a 92. My buddy has a friend who claims he beat the fan issue by wiring in both to the one sensor. I'm sceptical. I have the green sensor on my ZE and I'm not using it. If you need me to trace the green sensor wires let me know. I thought they just went to the fan itself. The ECU is not in the picture. I'll check my 92 anyway because I'm curious. I'll tell ya, fans running all the time really blows. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Sensor wires go to the ECU, and then ECU controls the fan relays.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Yeah the ECU is basically looking for a second sensor because the eprom chip on it is telling it to do so.

Only way to get around it is to wire up to the correct spot on the ECU as I posted before. Then get that wire and hook it up to the plug along with a ground source. It's really not that hard.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

im pretty sure that when you get your ecu chipped. it just re-maps what the ecu already knows... it doesnt actually make it a klze ecu. so my stock ecu doesnt know about that second coolant sensor, and it never will. i dont think probinators chip changes it to think there is supposed to be a sensor there.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Apparently it does, cause I just put in my ecu yesterday and what do you know, fans still going off like a mad man
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Lol it does actually change the eprom chip so it's basically a KL31. That's why it looks for the second sensor.

1995 MX3 ECU - no problems
1995 MX3 ECU chipped - Fans on constantly

1994 KLDE ECU - no problems
1994 KLDE ECU chipped to KL31 - Fans on constantly

I've tried it, I've experienced it, as has Solo Ryder now too. The chip makes it into a 1993 double coolant sensing KL31. There's no real way around it as far as chips go.

You can always try using a 1994 KLDE ECU and a KL02 VAF. I'm gonna try this very soon to see if there is any power difference.

I can imagine the VRIS will be off. But apart from that it shouldn't be too different. I can't understand why none of the chippers have simply modified a KLDE eprom to give correct VRIS points, fuel timing etc but only require 1 coolant sensor.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

hm so i should just go buy a yellow 3 plug ecu. ill be pluggin it in in the parkin lot i buy it in so if it doesnt work then ill know right away.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

If your engine is warm, the fans will come on instantly and never turn off. So yeah you'll know quite quickly if there is a problem.

And yeah any 3 plug OBDI ECU (all OBDI are 3 plug) will fit your wiring loom.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

that sucks! but o well.
alexskull75

Post by alexskull75 »

hi, my mx3 it's '94 but still obd1 and work with one only thermosensor for the fans control. the klze that i bought and installed has the same fans control with one only sensor... now i know why the fans are constantly on when i put the kl31 ecu obviously when i put back the k8 ecu ... all work fine . now my question is... where i can find a klze ecu able to work with one only sensor? I also thought to swap coolant filler neck with the 3 sensor(from a vrecked '92 mx3) with only the entire wiring harness attached to the C247 yellow central connector but i am not sure if the other two kl31 yellow ecu connectors has the same pin's position of the '94. guys... do you think that it's a possible solution?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There is no ecu for a klze compatible with the one sensor.
alexskull75

Post by alexskull75 »

my klze has the kl 31-101 kl31-1a1 heads and the kl-31 cams but there's not the 3' sensor on the coolant filler neck like others i already seen. is it an engine without an ecu able to manage it? in your opinion can i try to swap my coolant filler neck with an earlier type with the missing sensor and its wiring attached to the central yellow connector? i afraid that the other 2 ecu connector of my '94 wiring has a different pin position. thanks a lot for your help

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”