Coilover inquiry

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Yosev

Coilover inquiry

Post by Yosev »

Coilovers is the basis of my inquiry and that's about all i would like to know about. I was wondering, after doing some research, Coilovers are my best bet. I use my car almost daily and operate in the winter as well, so the adjustable hight is something that peaked my interest. I would like to have a smooth ride, the roads around me are pretty shitty. I really don't know much about car mechanics and would like to get into it as a hobby.

What would you suggest is the best bet for coilovers in my application?
projectzemx3

Re: Coilover inquiry

Post by projectzemx3 »

the best coilovers for our car is made by a company called search.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Yosev

Post by Yosev »

Ok, I get it, autodidacts up in here... but I certainly could use some help, I really am not much of a gear head and I don't know much about cars, thus I am here asking you people for your help. instead of sarcasm maybe I can get some sympathy?

I keep hearing about these ksports but I have no idea what a "16 damper" is and I would like a little of an explanation of why I should get coilovers you suggest.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

there are coil overs made by k sport, but they are for mx6's and dont directly bolt in. there was a thread on here not long ago about a brand off of K sport called D2. search for that.

also some people like to use the eibach ground controlo coilovers on stock struts. if you want to drive it in the winter and have a smooth ride then coilovers are not for you.

i recommend buying lowering springs, theres hundreds of threads on here about what are good lowering springs.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Here's the basic rundown on coilovers and suspension in general:

- the spring is what actually bears the weight of your car.
- the shock controls the spring i.e. keeps it from bouncing uncontrollably by "damping" it's compression and rebound
- a "Coilever" can come in one of two forms.
a) a coil spring with various hardware and adjusting collars that slides over your existing or some replacement upgraded standard shock
b) a complete strut assembly with a coilover design which are often but not always multi adjustable. A good coilover strut assembly will have multiple rebound and compression damping settings and the preload of the coil will also be adjustable. The K Sport D2 is a good example of that. They do now make an MX-3 specific product. $$$$$$$

You can lower the stance of the vehicle using any number of available replacement springs and shocks. Some will lower the car more than others. If you want to dramatically lower the car, a coilover of some kind is typically required.

The lower you go, the stiffer and less comfortable it will be. Keep that in mind.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

projectzemx3 wrote:the best coilovers for our car is made by a company called search.
I know we hear these same things everyday, but damn... Do you have to be so hateful?
I'll be honest. There have been things I searched and searched for and could not find it. Sometimes it's best hearing it directly anyways. Try lightening up a bit. Since I try to be good on here, I would normally cuss you out or something very immature like that, but I won't stoop to that level. I'll just laugh at you for now. :lol:
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

projectzemx3 wrote:there are coil overs made by k sport, but they are for mx6's and dont directly bolt in.
K-sport has made a set for the MX3 and they are avialiable... Very new though! Last time I checked it was around $1200 CAD like 2 weeks ago.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

colinsmx3 wrote:
projectzemx3 wrote:there are coil overs made by k sport, but they are for mx6's and dont directly bolt in.
K-sport has made a set for the MX3 and they are avialiable... Very new though! Last time I checked it was around $1200 CAD like 2 weeks ago.

yea they are kidna over priced the ksports like close to 900 on ebay, especially since they arent high in demand for our cars.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

SmoothMX3 wrote:
projectzemx3 wrote:the best coilovers for our car is made by a company called search.
I know we hear these same things everyday, but damn... Do you have to be so hateful?
I'll be honest. There have been things I searched and searched for and could not find it. Sometimes it's best hearing it directly anyways. Try lightening up a bit. Since I try to be good on here, I would normally cuss you out or something very immature like that, but I won't stoop to that level. I'll just laugh at you for now. :lol:
which is why i answered his question in my next post. but in all seriousness this site is super old and full of info that can easily be found by searching. dont get on my case about tellin someone to search cause i sure as hell am not the only person who tells people to do that.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

projectzemx3 wrote:
SmoothMX3 wrote:
which is why i answered his question in my next post. but in all seriousness this site is super old and full of info that can easily be found by searching. dont get on my case about tellin someone to search cause i sure as hell am not the only person who tells people to do that.
dont mind project, he means well though : )
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

projectzemx3 wrote:
SmoothMX3 wrote:
I'm not getting on your case. I know tons of people on here talk mess to newbies for not searching etc...
BUT... The way you worded it was alittle hateful. Always remember, We'd like to try to somewhat act kind towards the newbies, because that is what will keep them around and keep the tradition moving. I've been told my numerous of mx-3'rs from probetalk, that they don't come here because it's not as active. Let's try not being as hateful and try to keep more people here then push them away. :roll:
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Yosev

Post by Yosev »

wait, hold on... there is a search function?
Savin

Post by Savin »

Yosev wrote:wait, hold on... there is a search function?
Please tell me that was sarcasm! :lol: The search feature is under the big red mx-3 at the top of the page.
The search feature isn't exactly "newbie" friendly. It helps to be specific in your word usage.

Happy Smooth? I played nice. :D
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Savin wrote:
Yosev wrote:wait, hold on... there is a search function?
Please tell me that was sarcasm! :lol: The search feature is under the big red mx-3 at the top of the page.
The search feature isn't exactly "newbie" friendly. It helps to be specific in your word usage.

Happy Smooth? I played nice. :D
Yes, I am very happy. Sorry, I just look at it like, treat others how you would want to be treated. I definatly wouldn't like someone talking to me like that.
Sorry if I offended anyone, that just kinda pissed me off alil.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”