think its a starter problem ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ramsen25

think its a starter problem ?

Post by ramsen25 »

hey everyone when i try to crank the ze and it fire takes a couple times to start then runs fine this one mechanic says its the starter just wanted to double check be4 i go get a new one and if it is wuts the best recommended model starter for the ze thanks
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Re: think its a starter problem ?

Post by OROutdoors »

Do you have more information for us to base our guesses?

Here's one idea, that might fit, depending on the situation. Sometimes, a car will develop a low impediance in it's cables. You won't be able to measure it using an ohm meter, but you would be able to measure differences in voltage using a voltmeter (or like settings on a multimeter). Here's what I would do. First, discinnect the coil, then measure voltage across both battery posts to check the battery. Then check for voltage from one post to the connector, and likewise from the post to the cable conductors near the connector, and from the post to the starter. Do this for both poles. You will need to "try to start" the car when taking these readings, allowing the electricity to get to the starter. This means get a remote starting switch, or get a helper. Take readings at all points.

What you are looking for is voltage readings. Optimally, you won't read voltage in the same wire, without spanning a load or a source. That is, if you read 2 volts from the post to the cable conductor, then you have a 2 volt drop across that connection. It may be due to corrosion.

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm describing this too accurately, but suffice it to say, that the starter needs pleanty of + volts/amps and good ground to work. Afterall, mx-3 are known for grounding issues (we've all heard that before, eh). Anyway, check your wiring before buying a new starter.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”