Mooneggs 92 MX-3 Race Car IP - 2013 in Review

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 gs "race car" IP

Post by Mooneggs »

so I had a problem with my dipstick popping out on the way to the race 3 weeks ago. I ziptied it to keep me from losing oil but I know this is a temporary fix for the oil loss, not the additional crankcase pressure (which I am really worried/nervous about)... this problem has still not been resolved :crying:

I started by checking my PCV lines and everything is connected and working. So next I took off the front valve cover and it was so clean I could have eaten out of it!!

As I've researched around the site as well as ask people here's what I've found... if it's not the PCV valve/system, then it could be fried piston rings, or maybe valve stem seals...

Before I did the motor flush, the valve covers and pcv lines were coated in gunk almost as if moisture was builind up so it is possible the headgasket is blown in a place where water would mix with oil and not oil in the water as my coolant looks clear.

The next thing I may do is a compression test, a leakdown test and maybe pressurize the coolant system for the different issues I'm experiencing...

Either way I'm going racing this weekend about 5 hours from home... we'll find out if I have to use my AAA package :roll:

Here's pics of the pheno spacers install from a month ago as well as the valve covers...

and a few bonus shots of both cars :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Still looks good inside :) I probably didnt put 15K on that motor and didnt seem to have that issue.

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

oh that's a good chart - thank you! Yeah the weirdest thing is I haven't had this issue until I fixed everything else... I'm sure it's something I did, I just need to find out what :freak:
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Its definitely your restrictive exhaust. [/sarcasm]

I hate problems like this.
Last edited by tehbrookzorz on March 19th, 2009, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
tkalz

Post by tkalz »

It can be the Lil' O-ring of your dipstick who's worn out
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sorry to be a downer but 95 times out of 100 that's worn rings. Blow by is a biotch.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

One of the first things I did was check the o-ring on the dipstick and replaced it. It still would take a ton of pressure to knock out the dipstick....

I went for a nice little drive yesterday up and down some mountains... it was a beautiful day. I was driving the car hard and keeping up with stereoking15 (even though he wasn't trying :)) and the car was performing fine so my question is: are there stages for blow by or will it just blow the motor at once or eventually?? Like the excessive crankcase pressure is just a warning? Right now I have the PCV line from the rear valve cover not plugged and the car still idles fine even with that much unmetered air...

here's the roads we were balling up and down:
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=4 ... 4&t=p&z=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A leak down test will confirm it. If it's the valves, you're lucky but you'll start to see a lot of oil in the PCV and Vent hoses. If it's the rings, it'll go a lot faster. In either case, when the pressure starts to get really high you can start blowing other seals.

Do the leak down test. If it's blow by you'll know for sure from that. If it's not then start looking atthe other possible causes of excess crankcase pressure.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I doubt its the rings, the motor was machine honed and it was all new. All seals were new as well.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Mooneggs wrote:I went for a nice little drive yesterday up and down some mountains... it was a beautiful day.
You went on a rally on a Wednesday and didnt invite me?????!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

cjthor wrote:You went on a rally on a Wednesday and didnt invite me?????!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!
it was kind of spontaneous and the sun was going down... by the time you would have made it over it would have been dark and we didn't want to go too fast in the dark haha

we should do something soon on a sunday or something if it's nice out just find some good winding roads and see if your GP can keep up with the ze's :lol: (or maybe it will be the other way around)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I fitted and adjusted another flatter rear strut bar late last night... took out the glovebox and a/c cooling unit from under the dash. I realized that my heat won't work if I take it out completely so I gutted the a/c components out of the plastic case and then put it back in.

Tonight Dana and I will be heading down to Medford, OR, about 4 and a half hours from where I live ... here's the track:

Practice sessions on saturday, 5 lap timed course on Sunday! :driver:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Here's a couple of random pics:

these are the MSD 8.5mm wires that failed (see the cracks) I just got a replacement set yesterday woo hoo!

adjustable cam pulleys from the GB - thanks marcdh!!!

random glamour shots :lol:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

alright so I replaced my collector gaskets saturday... the rear one only had 33% left - no wonder it was so loud haha I also was test fitting the pacesetter header set I have... I will be getting some header wrap for them as well even though they are already thermal coated 8)

I also did a compression test - 195 on all cylinders and from what I've read that's a pretty normal ze :D So next I will do a leakdown test to see where my excessive crankcase pressure is coming from :confused2:

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

so I finally went over to Jarids shop and got a chance to look at the CF hatches... man I can't wait to get it on! I also picked up my CF eyelids and CF radiator cover...

I also traded VancouverWA a GS spoiler for an RS garnish which I may use on the CF hatch... I'm still undecided... of course it was inspected by Mazdacat...

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”