Air Intake

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Saku

Air Intake

Post by Saku »

I am currently trying to replace my air intake and i would like some suggestion

Its a 1994 gs v6
i was liking weapons R or jet stream intake
Last edited by Saku on March 10th, 2009, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
solo_ryder

Re: Air Intake

Post by solo_ryder »

V6 or 4 cyl?

Do a search or read the stickies..
Saku

Post by Saku »

opps sorry its a 1994 gs v6
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Cold Air intake:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44545

Short Ram intake (My writeup):

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68881

They dont really make intakes for our car, so custom is the way to go
Saku

Post by Saku »

solo_ryder wrote:Cold Air intake:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44545

Short Ram intake (My writeup):

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68881

They dont really make intakes for our car, so custom is the way to go
thank you
RyansMX3

Post by RyansMX3 »

Was wondering the same thing. have a 92 GS and trying to make the choice between the two: Injens stream cold air or Weapon R "secret weapon" short . Both look like good products. Don't want to have to fab my own. even $300 isn't that much for my "Baby" If anyone has experiance on one of them would appreciate!!!! Thanks
1992 GS, Full body Kit Costum shaved, Crazy Stereo, 17" rims, Insane shaved hood!!!!!!! Too much Too list!!
Saku

Post by Saku »

see money is an issue with me, being a teenager isn't that easy sometimes.. but sometimes it has it advantages
RyansMX3

Post by RyansMX3 »

Didn't mean Anything rude... Money is just not an issue for me ...... have already read the posts just looking for some further oppinions. cold air makes more sense, or solo_ryders install.. Any thoughts.......
1992 GS, Full body Kit Costum shaved, Crazy Stereo, 17" rims, Insane shaved hood!!!!!!! Too much Too list!!
Saku

Post by Saku »

yeah i know i wasn't thinking you were rude haha.. can someone explain the difference between cold air and short ram cause i feel stupid
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

if you search up the differences in google you'll find lots, but i don't mind giving the brief description

cold air intakes and short ram intakes use the same filter the difference between the two is the location in which they are in, being in different locations they pick up different air

a short ram intake is located inside your engine bay relatively close to the engine, the location of a cold air intake is by the front fenders of your car lower to the ground.
the downside of a short ram intake, being located in the engine bay can sometimes pick up warmer air (from engine) cold air intake being lower to the ground and away from the engine picks up colder air.
colder air is more dense and has more oxygen, in turn providing more performance, the downside to the cold air intake is that being closer to the ground increases the chance of sucking up water into the engine. now i hear it's not really a problem because normally it's a small amount of water so it evaporates before it even gets to the engine, but i'll let you be the judge of that.

that's pretty much the difference, there's probably much more but that's all i needed to know, so i stopped reading after that
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RyansMX3 wrote:Was wondering the same thing. have a 92 GS and trying to make the choice between the two: Injens stream cold air or Weapon R "secret weapon" short.
now IIRC the weapon R is a foam filter and the injen is a gauze filter, so there's the main differences besides one being a cold air intake and the other a short ram

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”