1994 1.6 5 speed mx3 idling problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
94precidiamx3

1994 1.6 5 speed mx3 idling problems

Post by 94precidiamx3 »

ok so you start the car up, it runs fine, drives fine. For a while I noticed that every once and a while when you take it out of gear and stop at a light, the idle goes way down for a few seconds, and comes back up. It was ok for the longest time this way.

Recently, given the same situation, the car drives fine while cold, when it warms up it starts having idleling problems, the idle drops very low and sputters, at this time the CEL comes on briefly, the engine runs like this for a period of 10-15 seconds then the CEL goes off and the car runs ok again. Some days it will not do it at all, others it stalls on every street corner when you stop, rough idles until it chokes and dies.

I thought wiring, or something ignition wise. Is this possible, or should I be looking at something else? The distrubutor cap should be changed, but its not finished. Any ideas, thanks everyone.
ImageImage
1994 MX3 Precidia, fresh paint and looking to be dropped.
Mi|<E

Re: 1994 1.6 5 speed mx3 idling problems

Post by Mi|<E »

If your CEL came on you might have a code, use Shameems guide to check codes:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=65390

The idle surging is a common problem and no one will really have a solution because
no one has really figured it out yet. Lots of people trying, believe me.
bmo

Re: 1994 1.6 5 speed mx3 idling problems

Post by bmo »

I had this exact same problem in September on my car, and it's starting to happen again.

When I had it repaired in the Fall, the stated cause was a bad EGR Solenoid valve. Personally I think it just gets gunked up, and replacing things is just a way for them to make money.

I have to do some work to my car as soon as the weather agrees with me, and one of the things I want to do is clean up crap like that and see if it helps.

Brian

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”