4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
reys_mx3

good upgrades for 1.6 dohc

Post by reys_mx3 »

wat are some good upgrades for a 1994 mazda mx-3 1.6 dohc
Evo_Spec

Re: good upgrades for 1.6 dohc

Post by Evo_Spec »

cold air intake or short ram, spark plugs, spark plug wires, some other simple things, other than that, don't bother
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

The best upgrade is the driver...

... and teaching him the search feature....
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

exhaust, underdrive pully, eliminate AC if possible
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

bpt
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Turbo :lol:

Honestly when I was NA I did a ton of stuff with the car and while the performance improved slightly it never felt fast. I had clutch and lightened flywheel, lightened pulley, CAI, full exhaust, iridium plugs, plug wires etc etc. It felt a lot better than it did when stock but still wasnt quick.

I would tell you to either go turbo, get a BP or get a BPT if you want speed.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

Some guy was saying that the only turbo that was made for a SOHC MX-3 was made by mazda and doesn't exist anymore. Does that mean I can't buy a BPT (it's DOHC right?) and put it in my 92' 1.6L SOHC MX-3?

Another noob question too: On a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would it be to put the V6 motor in my stock 92'? I've seen plenty for sale, and not many B6Ts or BPTs, so I may consider going the hard way and putting the V6 in. Thanks for any help.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Thassodar wrote:Some guy was saying that the only turbo that was made for a SOHC MX-3 was made by mazda and doesn't exist anymore. Does that mean I can't buy a BPT (it's DOHC right?) and put it in my 92' 1.6L SOHC MX-3?

Another noob question too: On a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would it be to put the V6 motor in my stock 92'? I've seen plenty for sale, and not many B6Ts or BPTs, so I may consider going the hard way and putting the V6 in. Thanks for any help.
omg thread jack!

you must search.. I would be nicer but this is a total jack. Rear the 4cyl faq's - the cure to the common n00b
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Thassodar wrote:Some guy was saying that the only turbo that was made for a SOHC MX-3 was made by mazda and doesn't exist anymore.
Yes this is true... I have only seen it once and am still trying to find out what car it came out of in Japan, but I know it was not from an MX3. I was dumb-founded when I had seen it all stock sitting there... And yes this was the SOHC not the DOHC. I will try and find the pic if I have it saved.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote: omg thread jack!

you must search.. I would be nicer but this is a total jack. Rear the 4cyl faq's - the cure to the common n00b
My bad man, it was somewhat related since every time someone asks what they can do to their stock car someone suggests doing a engine swap. It was a unintentional jack if anything. The 4 cyl faq has no info on going from 4 cyl to 6 cyl last time I looked, perhaps I should look again.

It's kind of annoying though, everyone always suggests doing a swap. Some people don't have the time/money to do it (engine lift, jack stands, tools, time w/o a car, etc.) to be doing that kind of stuff. Removing the AC isn't a easy job either, which is what someone else suggested.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you would have found it had you searched for it.
4-6 swap is the only swap that people will tell you to avoid. You'll need a full front clip or donor car. (better off selling yours and getting the v6) you're better off with the BP or getting a custom turbo mani made. Get some pics from racingmazda and bring it to a shop. Tell them you want that manifold... shouldn't be more than 300. then go nutz. maybe jw will make one if you ask him.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:you would have found it had you searched for it.
Do you enjoy sounding smug, or is it naturally what you do? If you'll notice I've been a member for almost 4 years and I only have 22 posts. That would suggest that I do alot more READING on the site than I do posting. I only ask questions when I can't find the information elsewhere, and you'll notice I said perhaps I should look again.

Excuse me for not being mechanically inclined in life. I'm in the same boat with this guy regarding upgrading everything I can before considering doing a swap, V4 to V6, stock to BPT, or whatever. To tell you the truth I didn't know that I'd need a custom manifold for the turbo, thank you for the information.

But there is an overabundance of people on this site who look down upon guys like us, and it's aggravating to say the least.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I am not suggesting that you have not searched.. I believe that there was some "half-a$$ery" involved. I'd have to say.. once every 3 months or so, some guy wants to ask if he can swap his 4cyl for the KLZE/DE/K8. They always get the same answer, and they never do it. You, having been here for the duration that you have, should have found this information.
I may have been smug... but did you not learn something at the same time? You should have aslo known about racingmazda and needing the custom turbo mani. Sorry if you don't like the delivery, but if you learn something in the process... try to take it as a form of help.
Blue Demon

Post by Blue Demon »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:I am not suggesting that you have not searched.. I believe that there was some "half-a$$ery" involved. I'd have to say.. once every 3 months or so, some guy wants to ask if he can swap his 4cyl for the KLZE/DE/K8. They always get the same answer, and they never do it. You, having been here for the duration that you have, should have found this information.
I may have been smug... but did you not learn something at the same time? You should have aslo known about racingmazda and needing the custom turbo mani. Sorry if you don't like the delivery, but if you learn something in the process... try to take it as a form of help.
Well said
bfamiluyi

Post by bfamiluyi »

colinsmx3 wrote:
Thassodar wrote:Some guy was saying that the only turbo that was made for a SOHC MX-3 was made by mazda and doesn't exist anymore.
Yes this is true... I have only seen it once and am still trying to find out what car it came out of in Japan, but I know it was not from an MX3. I was dumb-founded when I had seen it all stock sitting there... And yes this was the SOHC not the DOHC. I will try and find the pic if I have it saved.
could it be the mx6 f2t, that it the only mazda sohc i knew come with turbo stock
FASTLANE ONLY
1993 mazda mx3 1.6 sohc K&N INTAKE R1 MUFFLER SOON TO BOOST (SOHC TURBO)
1989 nissan 240sx sr20 wreck RIP
2002 saturn Ls2 RIP

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”