supercharger?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cbizlemx3

supercharger?

Post by cbizlemx3 »

Where can you buy a centrifugal super charger for mazda mx3 I4 SOHC? please help wanna super mx3 thanks
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: supercharger?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

do not exist. BTW, superchargers are for people who really don't know about turbos or general tuning.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i'm questioning your knowledge of forced induction now based off that comment... Thats the stupidest thing i've herd all day.

As for your question, currently there isn't a kit thats just bolt and play, you can look at alternative supercharger kits, for like the miata and see about mounting it to the b6 engine, not sure if it would be an easy install or something extremely difficult, don't believe i've herd of anyone supercharging the b6.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
cbizlemx3

Post by cbizlemx3 »

Someone has done it he has his own sight but i dont want the one he did. he has a twin screw i want the centrifugal super
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, supercharged Miata's are damn good, especially at autocross.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cbizlemx3

Post by cbizlemx3 »

SO should i go super or turbo or engine swap? super is easiest and i found a super on ebay for 800.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

swap in a BPT.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

cbizlemx3 wrote:SO should i go super or turbo or engine swap? super is easiest and i found a super on ebay for 800.
Depends, what do YOU want?
projectzemx3 wrote:swap in a BPT.
Or start with a BP than it'l give you some time to figure out what you want to do...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Aside from the domestic blocks, superchargers offer little benefit.. esp for the import tuner world. I would really want a parasitic belt driven pos on my already low power engine. Oh, and after I get the power bug.. let’s see what else we can squeeze out of this?..? Oh wait… I need a pulley kit to up the boost on my supercharger. Where as.. I can simply turn up or down my boost (granted the proper afr will be maintained) on my turbo set up. As far as pricing goes… expect to spend $5000 on maybe 50-100 hp.
BTW compound charging is f'n cool.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/

190WHP MP62 Coldside kit for only $3695
160WHP MP62 Coldside kit for only $2995

Ive spent less than the 190WHP setup, this is with a complete
rebuilt forged internal BP, ARP everything and all brand new accessories.

Not to mention any supercharger for the BP will be acommodating for the miata
motor position, which is 90 degrees clockwise from the protege/mx-3.

Im not saying its not possible, just not very $$ - HP ratio friendly.

I think superchargers are best left on larger displacement engines and wacko 4
banger 2.3L mercedes which still only make about 190 horsies.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Aside from the domestic blocks, superchargers offer little benefit.. esp for the import tuner world.

Really? is that why tons of miata guys go supercharger to do autocross over turbo charger setups? You seem pretty biased on the use of turbos, Superchargers have there benefits over turbo chargers, or they wouldn't still be around.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Volones

Post by Volones »

IMHO, the main difference between a turbo and a supercharger are negated by getting a centrifugal supercharger. If that is what you're considering, I would advise getting a turbo instead simply because there are a lot more resources and support for a turbo setup.

The reason I feel a centrifugal supercharger is a poor option is that it doesn't boost at a low enough RPM, so you're pretty much getting a belt driven turbo. This would be the worst of both worlds to me... not enough boost at low RPM where our engines need it, and greater drag at high RPM which decreases the overall boost. But having said that, if you have one and you want to play with it, by all means do it! Not only will you gain valuable knowledge and have fun doing it, but you'll also have one of the few supercharged MX-3s.

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

i would s/c my ze over a turbo setup.

low boost so your power band would be greater with a s/c
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

projectzemx3 wrote:i would s/c my ze over a turbo setup.

low boost so your power band would be greater with a s/c
we are mainly talking about the supercharger on the little 4cyls.. not the V6's. But the correct turbo can do that for ya too. Turbo's are a more efficient way to SC.
If there were a s/c miata running around.. I'd first have to think about the age and experience the driver/owner has. Do they know how to tune their own car? Or do they simply have 5G's that they can drop on a SC kit?
Oh, when was the last time Mazda outfitted a factory car with a SC? -Other than the exterra (nissan) .. what was the last import (non german)(to North America) to be SC'd in the factory? There are countless examples of Turbo'd applications in the import world for a reason:
Supra
Silvia, s13 etc
Skyline (all)
mitsu GTO
EVO
WRX/STI
SAAB 93 etc
eclipse/ DSM
solstice gtp(x) (domestic)
mazda 626
rx-7
mazdaspeed miata
mazdaspeed 3
mazdaspeed 6
mini
*many many more

Supercharged:
thunderbird...
exterra
mini
Oh wait, who cares!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

First of all it's "Xterra", secondly it's a 3.3L V6, not a 4cyl. There's quite a bit of supercharged v6's.

Secondly, my guess for most factory 4cyl's being turbocharged rather than supercharged is for basic performance and marketing reasons. A turbo car will make more at the crank and at the wheels than one that's supercharged at the same boost level, so they can advertise a few extra HP to compare against their competitors. Sure you'll get a different powerband, but they don't advertise that, and must people just don't really care. Secondly, this extra HP will make the car that little bit quicker.

You'll see alot of turbo vehicles, yes, but there are a few supercharged ones out there...

Mini S (speaking of dominating autocross)
Cobalt SS, Ion Redline & Factory S/C kit for Ecotec Cavaliers
Ariel Atom
Lotus Elise (Rare) and Exige
Scion TC
Mercedes C230
MR2
Mazda 626 2.0L Supercharged Diesel
Toyota Corolla Compressor (Overseas)
Toyota Previa

There's plenty of superchargers for 4cyl, besides for the Miata, you can get the Jackson-Racing one for Honda's. There's not many out there compared to turbo, but they are out there. Mazda was testing the MazdaSpeed Rx-8 with a supercharger rather than a turbo to help with the low end that rotaries lack.

The average go just wants to get high Hp numbers and go fast, turbo's so that, only a select few specifically want the powerband that a S/C delivers

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”