V6 Swap Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdafrk

V6 Swap Questions

Post by mazdafrk »

Ok. I have read alot of posts about swapping to the klze.

My questions are what about swapping straight V6's?

I have a 93 V6 mx3 5 speed and a 95 V6 mx6 auto.

The tranny in my mx6 is going out and the engine in the mx3 has a very bad oil leak and its burning it like crazy.

So I am wondering what would have to be done to put the 2.5 V6 out of my mx6 and put it in my mx3? I would have to get a 5speed tranny for the 2.5 bc its a auto right now. But does anyone know what else i would need? Motor mounts? ECU? Etc... anything would be helpful. Kyle
Nd4SpdSe

Re: V6 Swap Questions

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dude, search around for KLDE (your Mx-6 motor) and KLZE (the Japanese verison of the KLDE) swaps...i guess you have no idea how comming and easy that swap in
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdafrk

Post by mazdafrk »

I know what a klze is....i used to have one. i have a perfectly good 2.5 V6. Why would i spend a thousand dollars on one with higher compression and like 30 more hp? I just want to swap the V6 that i have. I know alot about swapping motors in mx6's, but not mx3's. this is my first one
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's gobs of info, all you need to do is seach on the swaps. It literally swaps like the stock 1.8.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Seriously. The swap's pie. I did it as a dumb 18 y/o with no mechanical experience beyond what I found on this site.
Externally these engines are the same. Trash that ATX, and the Mx-3 flywheel bolts right up to your DE - plus it's lighter than the DE's stock MTX flywheel. All external parts (starter, alternator, ac compressor, etc) are interchangeable, so take the better from each engine. You'll probably want to replace/upgrade the clutch while it's convenient, and make sure you use the correct ECU/VAF combo - I'm not sure offhand what they say about DE but...

like Nd4SpdSe said a little research'll show you how easy this can be.

Good luck.
Last edited by Nallboy on February 21st, 2009, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Motor mounts? I went with MazdaSpeed's, but just cause mine were dead - they're pricey. Cheap alternative: I'd bet there's a nice informational write-up about DYI polyurethane fills on here somewhere.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
mazdafrk

Post by mazdafrk »

alright. thanks guys. ill research on here and get as much info as i can then start swapping
mazdafrk

Post by mazdafrk »

ok, i have another question. Can i use my mx3 tranny, its a 5 speed. the tranny on the mx6 is an auto. would it fit?
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

Nallboy wrote:Seriously. The swap's pie. I did it as a dumb 18 y/o with no mechanical experience beyond what I found on this site.
Externally these engines are the same. Trash that ATX, and the Mx-3 flywheel bolts right up to your DE -
^^^ what he said....in other words yes the tranny will work :welder:
ImageImageImageImage
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

MX3 tranny should be fine to use. Good luck with the swap.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

As far as the VAF/ECU combo. Just take them both out of the mx6 and use those. The ecu is programmed to run the mx6 engine so that's what you'll need. There are other options but this one should work fine for what you need.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdafrk

Post by mazdafrk »

sweet. sounds like i can just swap parts around. awesome. thats what i wanted to hear haha. thanks for all the help. it will be about a month before i do the swap. ill def be posting pics in progress once i get started.
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

If his MX6 is an auto and he swapping to the 5spd tranny, the MX6 ECU wont work. You'll need one from a manual KL MX6.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Your MX3 VAF will work fine with your MX3 ECU if your MX3 was a 5 speed. If your car is a 93' (or few months into other years) you can get your ECU chipped to work better with the KLDE. (I think a ZE chip would work better than the standard ECU, but I'm not too sure). People have had luck just keeping the MX3 ecu unchipped for a ZE but it runs a bit rich-no knocking or anything though. You can always try it, then change things out later.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mx3boyze wrote:If his MX6 is an auto and he swapping to the 5spd tranny, the MX6 ECU wont work. You'll need one from a manual KL MX6.
The ECU doesn't care...i believe they also use a seperate ECU for the auto trans.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”