need help fixing blower fan or selector unit (in calgary)

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Evo_Spec

need help fixing blower fan or selector unit (in calgary)

Post by Evo_Spec »

Hi, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes anyways.

i have a 1994 mx-3 RS (DOHC 4cyl) and i believe my fan selector unit has pooped out or possibly the blower fan itself. (i have a slider unit)
i was wondering if there was anyone in town that could help me replace/fix this because i have absolutely no idea how to do so and am not confident enough to try and do it myself because i tend to break panels (not in anger it just kinda happens), i will pay for your time that it takes to fix this as if it were done at a professional shop (also willing to do what i can, i'm pretty good with my hands), i'm just hoping i could find someone that could do it for cheaper than a professional shop because things are kinda hard on me right now.
(i was talking to some people at the movie & dinner meet and they said it may be the plug behind the glove compartment, i looked and it looks/feels to be connected properly)

thanks

-Shayne
Last edited by Evo_Spec on February 11th, 2009, 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darcy

Re: need help fixing blower fan or selector unit

Post by Darcy »

I pulled the entire unit out of my car last fall and it all went back together ok, so I may be qualified to help. What is not working? Do the cables have tension (can you move it back and forth with/without friction)? Does the fan turn on at all?
Evo_Spec

Re: need help fixing blower fan or selector unit

Post by Evo_Spec »

i can move it back and forth with generally no friction, just the regular force it takes (i assume)
the fan used to turn on, i have a post here to kind of explain what happened.
roughly said, it was slowly dying from fast fan setting to lowest (so one week 4 didn't work but the rest did, then 3, 2, 1, dead)
i don't believe it's the fan, i was told in that post that it was the whole selector unit, but in all seriousness i have no idea
Evo_Spec

Re: need help fixing blower fan or selector unit (in calgary)

Post by Evo_Spec »

so i checked all my fuses in my driver side fuse box, and the engine bay fuse box and their all fine, so i'm pretty sure it's the resistor or the fan selector (don't think it's the fan, but i don't know)
getting pretty bad in the cold weather, windows fogging up unless i driver about 80km/h or faster to force air in =P
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

if it is the motor you can just undo the 3 screws on the bottom, unplug the two plugs and drop the guts out without trying to remove the whole blower setup. should only take about 5-10 minutes to do.
1993 White gs klze.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

oh ok, well i'll just try that to knock something off the list, how can i test the blower? a battery?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

yeah, i'm just gonna take it to mazda or something on monday, my windows fog horribly and the cold is unbearable

thanks everyone who offered help
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

alright....so the problem was that it was unplugged from the Resistor....XD
because the lock tab part of it broke off but luckily i went to the junk yard earlier today and got one just to try it out (cause i thought it was the selector unit itself), replaced it with that one cause the lock tab isn't broken.

thanks again to anyone who offered help

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”