How loud is your engine?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Leedeth

How loud is your engine?

Post by Leedeth »

When I test drove that GS, man, I was blown away by how quiet it was. It's probably about half the sound of my 4 cylinder.

My RS starts to get noisy around 3k and gets pretty loud, but the V6 just stays quiet until about 5-6k.
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
solo_ryder

Re: How loud is your engine?

Post by solo_ryder »

Sounds about right, they are quiet stock, very smooth rev too
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

they might be quiet stock but put a intake headers and exhaust on it and it is the most beatiful engine i have ever heard to bad it dont make enough power had to upgrade to a kl!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

My stock GS sounds really nice with the gutted cat. Very quiet, but masculine. It's like a kitten compared to my fast one, though!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I also like the stock exhaust. Inside and outside of the cabin, it sounds nice at all ranges.

But I'm a 4 cyl.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

With my headers, polyurethane engine mounts and crossmember bushings, the ZE is actually fairly loud. It's not droning or anything (especially on the highway) but it turns heads revving it while stopped.

The sound when standing about 15' behind is pure music, especially because of the fidanza flywheel. It revs so fast and violent, but is throaty and....

... runs down to parking garage :)
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The sound my car makes is interesting, but it's unique. People who don't know anything about cars recognise the sound of it when I'm coming, lol.

Custom-cut headers, magnaflow high-flow cat, magnaflow 4" muffler and a 2.5 exhaust...I've been told I have one of the quietest exhaust

Replace the high-flow cat with a test-pipe and it sounds literally like a race car, but it's LOUD! And ask those who have heard it, it's loud and unbearable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

my bpt is pretty loud around 3000 to 4000 rpm
i put soundproofing and some foam in the quarter panels.
I am considering putting something under the hood but i would like to know if others have had success with putting a sound suppressor under their hood.

Thanks
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Mazda does it with every new vehicle. You should SEE the sound supression stuff in the CX7 or 9. The plastic sheild underneath the car has foam padding on it.

Under the hood they use a fibre type moulded peice. I'm not sure what you would use. Must be fireproof, and not sag with heat. It would also be a PITA to make something to fit onto the firewall, with all of the stuff on it and all...

Good idea, good luck.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

brown bread makes a hood liner that i might look into
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

what did you say i didnt hear you?? :lol: i have no muffler on my car at the moment...i think im going deaf dealing with that "k series drone"...but it sounds meaaan when i open er up :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

my 1.6 was actually not loud without a muffler. i did have a decent resonator
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

My V6 is currently stock and isn't loud at all. However, when it's cold out and I start it up and wait for it to warm, it sounds like it's going to eat itself. But, once it's warm it sounds nice :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

My almost stock GS sounds really nice. It has a CAI, stripped underhood, and hollowed cat. It gets a harmonic convergence at a certain RMP that causes 3 different tones to resonate. It's really cool.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Towona

Post by Towona »

Brutally loud.... of course, I removed all of the interior and sound insulation :freak:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”