KLZE Transaxle vs K8DE Transaxle

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
914klze

KLZE Transaxle vs K8DE Transaxle

Post by 914klze »

I have a KLZE which I've stripped down to the block and had a machinist check everything. Now the 5spd transaxle it came with was out of a MX-3 with the K8. Does anyone know if these transaxles are the same. If not would I be better off sourcing a different transaxle?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KLZE Transaxle vs K8DE Transaxle

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Probably not, although some came with LSD (most used a different spline count than the Mx-3 axles use), but those were typically a 4.11:1 final drive like the 626/Mx6, while the Mx-3/Probe transaxle is 4.39:1.

If it has the LSD and the spline is correct, all except the crazy would say keep it. Even if it's not and works, most recommend the taller gears with a ZE since the Mx3 transaxle seems too short with so much power.

If the spline coun't isn't right, it'll unfortuntaely be a larger paperweight since it's not worth much for the fact that the axles are almost impossible to get in North America
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
914klze

Re: KLZE Transaxle vs K8DE Transaxle

Post by 914klze »

It doesn't have LSD (if you turn one halfshaft the other spins in the opposite direction). I originally pulled the whole works out of a MX-3 USD that the previous owner had put the ZE in. I'm assuming the transaxle was the original. I just want to know if this is the best place to start building a tranny to handle 400hp.
Thanks for the info.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”