can't disengage rear seatbelts after winding them up

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
eyezpinned

can't disengage rear seatbelts after winding them up

Post by eyezpinned »

a few months ago i put in a rear strut bar and had to remove the rear seatbelt assemblies to do so. i wound (is that a word?) them up to get them out of the way and now they wont unwind. is there a tab or something i'm missing?
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
92EmeraldDream

Re: can't disengage rear seatbelts after winding them up

Post by 92EmeraldDream »

I ran into the same problem with my Seatbelts in the back of my MX3 after removing the rear seats and also removing the rear speakers...iF you have any information to have posted on this topic to fix this problem It would be good to know.
92' Mazda Mx31.6L Rs with catback exhaust,struttower brace currently disabled with some frnt end Damagehttp://element.searchpluswin.com/?cmd=s ... &rb=930734[URL=http://element.searchpluswin.com/? ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I guess I'm confused - if you want to wind them up you took apart the seatbelt canisters themselves which dont need to be taken apart. There is a spring in there that should wind it up automatically. If it took in too much you might have to take it all apart and try to set the spring...I did that and its a PAIN IN THE BUTTOCK. The rear setbelt also wont unwind if its not level and stable, (which is why they lock up when car stops shortly).
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

well hardly anyone ever rides in my back seat, so i wont be tackling that anytime soon. ill follow up if i figure out some other way though
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I had this same problem when I removed my seatbelts.... My solution was mostly patience...

basically (and I'm trying to remember it's been a while) I GENTLY tugged/pulled on the buckle part like 1/8 of an inch at a time and kind of let it in, let it out... eventually you will get slack enough to start making larger pulls until the whole thing is extended... hopefully that makes sense... just be patient with it... it's probalby going to take a few minutes at least...

once it's fully extended put some zip ties around the belt until you install it so it doesn't go back in during installation. I believe it stays "locked" because of the inertia part and like someone mentioned it has to be level or something.

if you are still having trouble I'll dig mine out and do a write up :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”