WHICH KLZE IS BEST FOR MX3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TOOgreezy

WHICH KLZE IS BEST FOR MX3

Post by TOOgreezy »

OK. so i was speaking with "diamond Jap Auto" he said the CURVE neck klze is the 1 for mx3's. he said with the straight neck you would have to change too many things... so he was sayin curve would be better w/ stage 1 clutch?

Just curious which one would u guys recommend... curve or straight
and also what type of clutch...
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
solo_ryder

Re: WHICH KLZE IS BEST FOR MX3

Post by solo_ryder »

Well for direct drop in, the cruve neck is best.

For most power, get a straight neck and swap over a curve neck intake manifold.

As for clutches, any brand name ones are good, not ebay crap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

C'mon man, no need to type your title in caps

Solo says the truth. Search on clutches for more info, there's PLENTY of threads relating to it and what NOT to get. If you're curious about the straight-neck swap, search for that too to see what's required.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Cams or no cams, how many here could even tell the difference? Curved neck and buy the cams later or not. Again can anyone really tell the difference. Curved necks have more lower end power and that's where we usually need it if it's to be a daily driver.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, hard to say, I know my 01 cammed ZE feels like it runs out of steam above 6-6.5k

Besides, almost anyone can change an intake manifold, cams aren't so easy, especially if you've never done anything of the sort before...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Ya you can notice the difference, top end is a lot better with a kl31 cammed ze
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Curved neck is not a true ZE IMO. It's just the Eunos 800 2.5L KLDE that has a few little minor details that give it about 3-4KW more power (5-6 HP).

The straight neck is the true ZE with the better cams.

Honestly, there's not much difference - just get the best cleanest looking one. A crap ZE will make less power than a good DE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
TOOgreezy

Post by TOOgreezy »

RX8SE3P wrote:Curved neck is not a true ZE IMO. It's just the Eunos 800 2.5L KLDE that has a few little minor details that give it about 3-4KW more power (5-6 HP).

Honestly, there's not much difference - just get the best cleanest looking one. A crap ZE will make less power than a good DE.
Oh.. I thought curve neck and straight both had 200hp. Thought there was only a difference in torque. So that's incorrect?
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Excellant point grasshopper
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

TOOgreezy wrote:
RX8SE3P wrote:Curved neck is not a true ZE IMO. It's just the Eunos 800 2.5L KLDE that has a few little minor details that give it about 3-4KW more power (5-6 HP).

Oh.. I thought curve neck and straight both had 200hp. Thought there was only a difference in torque. So that's incorrect?

No that is correct, there are plenty of dynos out there showing straight necks and curve necks making the exact same numbers, the only difference is where the torque is.

Actually NO klze has 200hp, thats just the number that it has been rounded to, the number is more like 193-198hp.
Last edited by Mnemonic on January 30th, 2009, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

LMAO!! Please tell me you're joking.. because your absolutley WRONG.

Lets see.

DE VS ZE

ZE has BIGGER RUNNERS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT VALVE RETAINERS
ZE has DIFFERENT HEADS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT CAMS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT PISTONS (higher compression)
ZE has NO EGR
ZE uses a different VAF
ZE uses a different ECU

A DE doesnt make the power of a ZE, period, unless it is modified.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

TOOgreezy wrote:

From the official numbers, it's 198hp and 165ft-lbs of torque, it's just that the powerband is shifted lower with the curved-neck, KL01 cams....but alot of people say no that it doesn't make the same power. People say because the cam profile is different so it can't make the same amount of HP as the KL31's, some say because there's no PnP ECU, so you'll lose HP from the VRIS system being incorrect for the curved-neck intake manifold, some say they have domed DE pistons rather than the flat ZE.

There's several ways you can do it

1) Get a curved-neck and be happy with it.
2) Get a curved-neck and put in KL31 cams
3) Get a straight-neck and put your K8 IM on in the meantime until you source a curved-neck
4) Get a straight-neck and get throw a curved-neck on it on installation
5) Get a straight-neck and install it with the straight-neck IM
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Custommx3 wrote:LMAO!! Please tell me you're joking.. because your absolutley WRONG.

Lets see.

DE VS ZE

ZE has BIGGER RUNNERS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT VALVE RETAINERS
ZE has DIFFERENT HEADS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT CAMS (unless your referring to SOME DE's that had ZE heads, and it was a Millenia DE/ZE Hybrid)
ZE has DIFFERENT PISTONS (higher compression)
ZE has NO EGR
ZE uses a different VAF
ZE uses a different ECU

A DE doesnt make the power of a ZE, period, unless it is modified.
Do you have a problem with reading properly?

Read my post carefully. The curved neck motor is more of a DE, it has 170HP. 125KW. I dunno why so many people call it a ZE, it's clearly far closer to being a DE.

Btw:

Different runners - not much difference
Different retainers - no difference at all - people perfer to use DE ones so you're off your tree on that comment
Different heads - not much difference unless you have the cams
Different cams - yes there's your main difference between the two!
Higher comp Pistons - maybe a little more power, not much
No EGR - Wtf, this makes pretty much no difference
Vaf and ECU - The ECU is programmed to work with that VAF. It could be programmed to work with the KL02 VAF too. ECU is just set up to take care of the other small differences. A little more power from it...

And I have a DE and a ZE both running. Do you?

I absolutely stand by my comment that a strong DE will be VERY close in power to a tired ZE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

the kfze has 170hp (talking about the Lantis Type R Kfze), the curve neck klze has the same amount of HP that the straight neck does. I've dynoed a straight neck and curve neck the same day, at the same dyno, with both engines having similar setups, and the numbers were almost identical.

So please explain how a 170hp motor can have the exact same numbers as a 200hp one, with the same modifications... Its not possible and your information you are providing is wrong.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

RX8SE3P wrote:
Do you have a problem with reading properly?

Read my post carefully. The curved neck motor is more of a DE, it has 170HP. 125KW. I dunno why so many people call it a ZE, it's clearly far closer to being a DE.

Btw:

Different runners - not much difference
Different retainers - no difference at all - people perfer to use DE ones so you're off your tree on that comment
Different heads - not much difference unless you have the cams
Different cams - yes there's your main difference between the two!
Higher comp Pistons - maybe a little more power, not much
No EGR - Wtf, this makes pretty much no difference
Vaf and ECU - The ECU is programmed to work with that VAF. It could be programmed to work with the KL02 VAF too. ECU is just set up to take care of the other small differences. A little more power from it...

And I have a DE and a ZE both running. Do you?

I absolutely stand by my comment that a strong DE will be VERY close in power to a tired ZE.
Actually I did read you correctly and was stating the DIFFERENCES between a DE vs ZE, if you would READ what I said.

Runners DO make a difference. Larger ports = more airflow = more power.
Retainers - they are different on a ZE, and yes Im aware the DE's are better thats why I used them in the ZE I BUILT.
Heads - Larger intake an exhaust ports = better/larger air flow = more power
Cams - a KLZE with w/ KL01 and a KL31 pretty much ar ethe same.
We took an MX-3 with a Straight neck and one with a curved neck. Put them on the track, guess who were neck and neck @ the finish?
The EGR takes away power from the engine - the KLZE has no egr = morepower.
The KLZE ECU is different, as its set up for the different VAF points and to take advanatge of the higher octane levels of the KLZE = more power. the KLZE requires a JE50 as opposed to the KL03 VAF - hence a difference.

Ive built KLZEs and KFZE's. Ive swapped MANY DE and ZE's in my day. Im aware of the differences between them.

A POS, 200K ZE will absolultley have less performance than a brand new DE. Its called loss of compression. Oh, and lets get the facts straight, it's not a DE, its called a KL.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”