Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Re: Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Isn't it bad that Legato's intake has NO filter???????
Savin

Post by Savin »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:Isn't it bad that Legato's intake has NO filter???????
It does. It has one of those PRM? filters on it. It looks like part of the pipe, but its a filter none the less.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Legato626 wrote:This is the setup i have on my car its ram air!
That's kind of ghetto, but whatever works, I guess.

I am myself quite guilty of using household plumbing to re-route air into the filter bay. Hehe.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Is there a vacuum line of some sort that runs from the intake to the FPR??? I saw someone mentioned something about this in this thread and I'm curious.....
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

does anyone know what i would use to make one for my klde straight neck?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have a straight neck. What year is yours? You can see mine in my worklog.
Before I relocated the battery, I had a 45 degree silicone bend that was 2.5" on the TB side, and 3" on the other. You can then built the rest the same way as the others.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

did you have a straight neck ze or de mine is a 94 probe gt klde in a 92 mx3
mazdamx3_V6

Post by mazdamx3_V6 »

good job, very clear.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

This is a very good write up how ever I just bought the PRM Jet Stream intake was easy to install and came with everything needed excluding the relocating supplies.. Not to mention it sounds totally bad a-- :2thumbsup: on the weak lil K8 Yea it was a little pricey but imo was well worth the money and I can deffanitly feel the differance espically in the higher R.P.M's and what's soo cool about the PRM is the filter is inside the casing so less filter exposure to the eliments..

B.T.W. If you choose to go with the PRM USE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POST.. For placement Because the ones that come with the intake are for a RHD car.. At least the ones I got were..
bbox
antispam: No

Post by bbox »

About the extra 4mm hose, i just took off the mitsubishi cap and put it where the cap was. I havent had any problems come off of it yet, so it might do fine.

Also, i bought a weapon r dragon filter off of ebay for 108.00, and it came with a breather filter as well. I can notice a good bit of throttle response, and about 1.5 miles per gallon increase. I'd put it at maybe 5 horses gain at most, (note i said most) but i can hear the intake over my exhaust!!! :love: I'll post picks soon... Anyone else have one of these? Im curious as to how you have it hooked up, as i had to assemble mine 3 different ways before i was happy with it.
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
Epic

Post by Epic »

So I just did the CAI on my kl-de. But I noticed that there is not that many places the air gets into that space.
Yes I know "search" but I couldnt find any info that I could find any use for. If you can just link instead of ripping my head off :oops:

With that said, we have alot of rain where I live so I dont think its a good idea to cut any holes down there.
Also I just bought pipes, so I dont have any place to put the "big" hose. Is there a problem just putting a breather filter on the pipe that the hose comes from? For now I just use the stock piece from the throttle body to the MAF, as I didnt have any rubber "connectors" that I could get over the MAF.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

Option #4 1993 ford probe cold air intake off ebay for about $50 dollars. (this is fo the straight neck 2.5 I fit it to my 1.8l gs you only have to cut the one pipe cause it's 3" to long)It runs down right in front of the starter. I've found others made for the 1.8l v6. Don't have the websites with me.
1993 MX-3 GS with 1.8l v6, 5 speed, sunroof, ?hp 130ish
Stage II Clutch, Front strut bar, Ford Probe cold air intake(fit nice with all stock PC lines connections)
Chrome 17's with 150 mph Z rated directionals', Chrome Projectors, Clear front markes, signals
1990 audi 200Q, with a 1989 Turbo 2.2L inline 5cyl., 5 speed, ?hp 170ish(winter car)
1970 Oldsmobile 442, 455 (7.6L) V8, His Hers 4 speed(Not working on this till the MX is perfrect)

Photos at http://www.myspace.com/hendie131/photos[/color]
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

heya, could some one just confirm for me the sizes of silicon needed to fit the TB and the VAF, jus recieved my 2.5 inch and 2.5 --> 3" couplings and they are waaaaay too small, even with some serious stretching it will be tough.
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

If you mean for the MAF (the giant cylinder you removed from your air box) I should take 3.5"-3" on both sides. Howerver you can use 2.5" - 3" on the inlet end of the MAF(it's tight enough you wont even need a clanp there). I did till I get around to finding another 3.5"-3 adapter to replace it. I have photos if youd like me to email them to you. My set up is very different from the one shown in the post.
1993 MX-3 GS with 1.8l v6, 5 speed, sunroof, ?hp 130ish
Stage II Clutch, Front strut bar, Ford Probe cold air intake(fit nice with all stock PC lines connections)
Chrome 17's with 150 mph Z rated directionals', Chrome Projectors, Clear front markes, signals
1990 audi 200Q, with a 1989 Turbo 2.2L inline 5cyl., 5 speed, ?hp 170ish(winter car)
1970 Oldsmobile 442, 455 (7.6L) V8, His Hers 4 speed(Not working on this till the MX is perfrect)

Photos at http://www.myspace.com/hendie131/photos[/color]
cweed

Post by cweed »

'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”