Start up costs

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
xSocialx

Start up costs

Post by xSocialx »

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how much it will cost to satisfy the goverment. (plates, stickers, sales taxes)

I have a sellers package that states that the car was purchased for $300.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sal

Re: Start up costs

Post by Sal »

The ministry will charge the buyer tax of 8% on the wholesale value of the vehicle, it dont matter what the bill of sale says they will always go with the wholesale value.

-Safety $50 (if it passes with no problems)
-Emissions $48
-Plates and Stickers ($75+$60 if you live in the city of Toronto, if not then its just $75 for one year)
-Joys of buying a car PRICELESS
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Sal wrote:The ministry will charge the buyer tax of 8% on the wholesale value of the vehicle, it dont matter what the bill of sale says they will always go with the wholesale value.
Not true, you don't even need a bill of sale, you just tell them what you bought it for and you pay 8% of what you said. If it's too low and seems suspicious then the government might send someone to appraise it and you'll have to pay tax for however much they say.

You'll also need to get a used vehicle report ($20) for no logical reason, you just need it. You also need insurance to get even temp plates, keep than in mind in case you didn't know.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Mad Cow wrote:
Sal wrote:The ministry will charge the buyer tax of 8% on the wholesale value of the vehicle, it dont matter what the bill of sale says they will always go with the wholesale value.
Not true, you don't even need a bill of sale, you just tell them what you bought it for and you pay 8% of what you said. If it's too low and seems suspicious then the government might send someone to appraise it and you'll have to pay tax for however much they say.

You'll also need to get a used vehicle report ($20) for no logical reason, you just need it. You also need insurance to get even temp plates, keep than in mind in case you didn't know.
The wholesale price is listed on the Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP), as well as the price that the vehicle was sold for. The PST is charged on the wholesale price or the written price, whichever is higher. Other information on the UVIP includes previous owners as well as if the vehicle has any liens on it. Does not really apply to older cars, but if you are buying a used vehicle from say, 2007, you ould want to know if the RepoDepo people are going to come and tow it away...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Think of the used vehicle package as cheap insurance. It shows you that no liens exist so no Repo man will call. You can go to an appraiser and pay $25 bucks for an apprasal. I've done this and saved hundreds on sales tax on used cars I felt weren't worth what the wholesale price said.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Thanks for the quick response guys!

I really appreciate all the info, I think I'm looking at about $300 plus insurance before were ready to go. I just really want to make the meet by feb 8th :)

Mad Cow, you had said that I need insurance to get my plates. Is that all I need? Just insurance?

thanks again
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

xSocialx wrote:Thanks for the quick response guys!

I really appreciate all the info, I think I'm looking at about $300 plus insurance before were ready to go. I just really want to make the meet by feb 8th :)

Mad Cow, you had said that I need insurance to get my plates. Is that all I need? Just insurance?

thanks again
You need just insurance to get temp plates that last 10 days, then you need safety and etests done to get the permanent plate sticker. You can renew temp plates once for another 10 days, costs $15 I think.

And I don't know how it was when everyone else bought their cars, but when me and my friend went to register our cars (less than 2 weeks ago) we paid tax on the price we said we bought them for.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

When I bought my car I bought a $20 permit to drive it home without plates, then it sat motorless for about a month and by the time it was running again I had full time plates. All I needed was clean bill of sale and safety. It was $2 for plates, and I was off.

Whats wrong with all of you people? :confused2:

Oh, right, you live in Ontario or the states. Ha.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Ryan wrote:When I bought my car I bought a $20 permit to drive it home without plates, then it sat motorless for about a month and by the time it was running again I had full time plates. All I needed was clean bill of sale and safety. It was $2 for plates, and I was off.

Whats wrong with all of you people? :confused2:

Oh, right, you live in Ontario or the states. Ha.
Yep, the Ontario ministry of transportation is just ridiculous, you have no idea how bad it is. In toronto you also have to pay $75 a year to renew your plates, and of course mandatory and strictly enforced e-test and safety tests. They're pretty much just making excuses to get every last possible penny out of you.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

E-test is once every 2 years for any vehicle 5 years and older, safety is only when you first purchase the car.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Here, if you "gift" the vehicle, as in give it to someone like a child, it doesn't need to be saftied. We never need e-tests.

My buddy has a 80's Dodge Colt. Its and absolute POS. The bumper fell onto the muffler and caught fire, so now its held up by yellow rope. The right rear strut fell off and onto the wheel, they just welded it back on. There is always water in the trunk. The tires are bald and leaking. I could put my foot though the rocker if I kicked it. The frame rails are rotten. The windshiled is shattered, the roof is bent, and the hood is bent. The headlights are crooked, the battery is shot, the clutch is absolutely shot, the brakes are shot... I could go on. The point is, this thing is still street legal and hasn't seen a safety since it was bought.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

why would u let him drive that car ryan seriously lol
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Because it doesn't quite drive at the moment :lol:. It stalls when in any gear but reverse. Its really strange, but I think its electrical. I just thinks is a testament to how rediculous the system is.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Wow so much false information here

You need to geta Used Car Buyers Package which is $20
Safety is all different, depends on the shop. Its normally about $70 and $7 for the paper.
Etest is $36+taxes
Gotta pay Taxes on either the wholesale price or the price you bought it for. In order to qualify for that you and the buyer need to write up a bill of sale.

Plates are $20 and $74 for a sticker. If you need a temp its $20 for the plate and $15 for the Temp sticker.

And of course you need insurance to get plates weather its temp or perm it dn't matter Insuarnce is mandatory

I picked up a 323 and did some work to it to drive in the winter instea of the mx3 and I paid $200 for the acr and thats what the government taxed me on. so don't be syaing they go by wholesale. This was like last week as well.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:E-test is once every 2 years for any vehicle 5 years and older, safety is only when you first purchase the car.

Also if the car has not had a sticker renewel in over a year. They will ask for a Certification. happened to someone i know. I have also heard of insurance company asking for a saftey on a vehicle because it was over 15years old. But that would also depend on the company and the policy.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”