Useful Resources - Insulating/Soundproofing your MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Useful Resources - Insulating/Soundproofing your MX-3

Post by fowljesse »

I'm going to wrap the outside of the wrap with something waterproof (Maybe high heat tape), and put a solid plate on the entire bottom of the car.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

nice thread..

what does this mean btw:\
I am also following FowlJesse's mods and am now weatherstripping the car... till I ran out...
what is wheatherstripping a car? sorry i don't know how to translate this to dutch :mrgreen:
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Savin

Post by Savin »

It's filling in the gaps between the doors and hatch against the body of the car. Jesse used foam strips to eliminate these gaps. It reduces road noise and things like that.

I hope that makes sense.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

is this additional weather stripping to the stock strips around the doors, that your all are adding and if so, do you have pictures

thanks
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

It's just around the outer edge of the door, all the way around. There is a picture of it. In this thread. Buy some weatherstripping and put on your creative hat, you'll get the idea :P
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I don't have a creative hat, where can I buy one? :lol:

What size/thickness weather stripping did you use? I was under the impression jesse put his on the car body itself, in the doorframe, not on the door. I am planning to do this, but I don't think the adhesive sticks very well in the cold weather, so I was going to wait until summer.

Also, cellulose insulation absorbs water, though it is great insulation for the weight/cost. Using plastic bags w/ the cellulose insulation inside will not fill the gaps AS well (you can do both for maximum efficiency) but it would prevent water absorption. Does this sound like a good idea?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. It is in my worklog. I don't remember the thickness, but it seems like it was an inch wide, and about 3/8" thick. I got it at Home Depot. If you use it, don't stretch it at all. I did a little to cover more area, and it shrank back. Try to actually scrunch it, if possible.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”